Bryant & May Are Coming Back

Bryant and May

Hopefully this will put a smile on your faces. Some of them, anyway.

The next book from me will be ‘Hot Water’ from Titan in March 2022. However, in July it will be followed by a new Bryant & May book – although not a novel.

‘Bryant & May’s Peculiar London’ is a rather unusual guide book. It’s a bit like the comments sections on this blog. I’ve let Raymond Land explain in the book’s foreword;

‘I thought it was a guide book but it’s nothing of a kind. There’s bugger-all in here about what ordinary people want to do when they visit London, viz; go to the London Eye, Big Ben and M&M World before sitting through the first half of ‘Les Miz’. Instead it’s full of annoying conversations and weird historical connections no-one’s interested in. Half of them have no point and the other half go wandering off at a tangent, like Mr Bryant’s mind. There are hundreds of perfectly acceptable London books knocking about and this isn’t one of them. It’s just someone randomly banging on about a lot of pointless forgotten stuff.’

But ‘pointless forgotten stuff’ is precisely the point. Most books that discuss London do so from a historical or political perspective, or they compile random curiosities. You’d expect ‘Bryant & May’s Peculiar London’ to look at the city from a crime perspective but too many other excellent volumes do that. Instead it explores the way in which the past is curiously linked to the present, via the kind of freeform thinking that shapes Mr Bryant’s deranged mindset.

Hopefully it will delight and surprise you as much as the editor enjoyed it.

‘Bryant & May’s Peculiar London’ features all the PCU staff arguing with each other and waxing lyrical (or just complaining) about London. It will fit into the B&M canon as Book 21, same size and design, not as a separate volume. I think it’s going to be great fun.

61 comments on “Bryant & May Are Coming Back”

1. J. Folgard says:

Really excited about both books, thanks Christopher!

2. Eliza says:

I thank you for all the joy and happiness that your Bryant and May books bring to a lover of all things London, History and old fashioned. Your genius invention of two such wonderful characters, particularly Bryant who embodies the soul and quirkiness of the city I love, assisted generously by May means you have touched so many people.
    I am so glad there is another Bryant and May book on the horizon, thank you, thank you.
    I also hope there are many good days for you when you can lose yourself in your writing.

3. MaryAnn & William Player says:

Wonderful! Thanks!

4. MARY McCARTNEY says:

Weird Historical connections no one will be interested in’ .. not so! its precisely those that I love when reading B&M

the first CF book I picked up and decided to read was set in the London I played and lived in as a child in the 50s… At the Borough and London Bridge – Down the tunnel next to Guys Hospital and what I remember as Druid Street … got me there and then…

think it was ‘Wild Chambers’?

5. So excited! I have been wanting exactly this for years. 🙂

6. Richard Stone says:

I will have to get a Homburg hat to wear in celebrate as i wander around London aimlessly looking for any signs of Arthur or John being in the same location but not being there, but they are there in my minds eye. Or maybe they are there but my minds eye tells me they are not. Who knows, but another book is delightful news.

Thank you Christopher.

7. Bob Slee says:

Feeling low at the end of London Bridge is Falling Down – this news has cheered me up immensely. Can’t wait! Would read with joy the ongoing adventures of B&M and the PCU with both of our heroes aged 110+ and wouldn’t question the credibility of the situation for a nanosecond. Unalloyed bliss. Thank you so much

8. LH says:

So. very, very happy to look forward to more Bryant and May!

9. It seems to be impossible to find for preorder. I’m in the U.S. but will happily buy from U.K. seller.

10. Jeanette says:

Thank you so much Christopher. Can I dress as Maggie Armitage whilst exploring or a rather nice knitted scarf as worn by Arthur, including bits of sherbert lemon stuck to it, and definitely some pipe tobacco entwined in the wool

11. Jeanette says:

Thank you Christopher. I think I may dress as Maggie Armitage or have a wonderful hand knitted scarf that Arthur may wear of course with bits of lemon sherberts stuck in it and with bits of pipe tobacco stuck in the strands of wool. Who is up for a Bryant and May Tour of London.