Title

Next Bryant & May 'Not Killing Off A Minor Character'

Christopher Fowler
Bryant I suspect that somebody, somewhere (possibly in the US) saw the manuscript of 'Bryant & May and the Burning Man', and leaked the story's new direction. However, they had the good grace to hold something back. So no, I'm not 'doing a Springfield' and killing off Crusty the Clown's father - there are some real changes in the book, and the biggest tragedy will hit the main characters. The publication date, on my birthday anniversary*, seems ominous/ celebratory/ final. However, I can reveal that I've been offered a really good book deal for the future, which will keep me chained to this desk in King's Cross when I should really be up a mountain somewhere. Next year will see the launch of two books, the aforementioned 'Burning Man' and 'The Sand Men', a stand-alone paranoid thriller from Solaris. I'm now part of the way through my 2016 deliveries of another two books, and have had outlines accepted for 2017. I love my job. The photograph below is of the Bryant & May match girls who went on strike in 1888. *My English teacher Mr Scholar (really) used to insist that we said, 'The anniversary of my birthday'. webmedia.php

Comments

Ness (not verified) Thu, 13/11/2014 - 12:48

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

I originally picked up Full Dark House as I was intrigued by the names of Bryant and May which were part of my childhood lexicon, not through being a pack a day child (it was the 1970s so plausible) but because of the view of the factory from the train in Melbourne. I'm sure my matchstick familiarity got me the lead as Meg in the Matchstick Girl but this most fortunately did not lead to a glorious career treading the boards. Converted to offices since the 1980s but now the very sight of the still extant sign transports me to London (and my mind doesn't have to endure a 24 hour flight). Every trip to London I seek out some of London's quirkier or forgotten places mentioned in your excellent books and website and spend happy hours reading (and more importantly for you and your just rewards), making sure we purchase every one of your books at our library. I am proudly responsible for introducing you to readers who would previously cry 'but I don't read fantasy/sci fi/horror/mystery' etc. The matches made me do it.

snowy (not verified) Thu, 13/11/2014 - 17:01

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

It's nice being up a mountain, makes all that faffing about with a belt full of jangly metal and draging a bit of thick string behind you seem almost worth the effort.

J. Folgard (not verified) Thu, 13/11/2014 - 18:29

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Really happy to see Solaris keeps asking for more books from you, I like their output in general.

Brian Evans (not verified) Thu, 13/11/2014 - 20:45

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

I say, steady on, I'm still getting over the death of Liberty Du Caine!

Helen Martin (not verified) Thu, 13/11/2014 - 20:53

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

You and me both, Brian.

Alan Morgan (not verified) Fri, 14/11/2014 - 10:38

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Spiffing news. Now would be about right for it. Rubbish time of year.

Reuben (not verified) Sat, 15/11/2014 - 20:38

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

I hope this isn't going to be too traumatic, I'm still recovering from Nigel falling off the roof of his stately home in The Archers.

Mary Clarke (not verified) Mon, 17/11/2014 - 18:28

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Brian and Helen I have lived through Liberty's downfall a few times and it hurts every time!

Mary

jan (not verified) Wed, 19/11/2014 - 14:40

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

In the olympic park East London theres a large plaque commemorating the site of the Bryant and May factory. Working with the dangerous materials caused the girls many problems - some of which did not set it until later life.