The Outsider Comes In From The Cold?

Media

Dinner talk

I’ve always been a bit of an outsider, even when I’ve had hit novels. I’m certainly not one of those authors with a career plan. This year, though, has been unusual for me. First, a CWA Dagger nomination, and now selection for the ITV3 Crime Thriller Awards, the run-up to which is currently being televised. I’ve been filmed for an upcoming segment (naturally, I’m not organised enough to remember the date of transmission).

‘The series,’ says the press release, ‘showcases the UK’s best crime fiction and drama, including a crime writing magazine show for crime fans called The Crime Thriller Club which will feature ‘Living Legends’ – interviews with established authors Martina Cole, Nicci French, Harlan Coben, Patricia Cornwell, Wilbur Smith and Frederick Forsyth, who will be inducted into the CWA Hall of Fame at the Awards Ceremony.’ It would be ungracious of me to quibble with the concept of Martina Cole being branded a ‘living legend’ but there you go.

‘At the heart of the Crime Thriller Club series,’ it continues, ‘is The Crime Thriller Book Club, with six specially selected titles whose readers who can join the discussion online. The 6 books were selected by Amanda Ross of Cactus TV and her team, whose selections for the TV Book Club created many No 1 Best Selling Authors.  The featured titles are:
  • Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay (Orion)
  • Dare Me by Megan Abbott (Picador)
  • Bryant and May and the Invisible Code by Christopher Fowler (Transworld)
  • The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter by Malcolm Mackay (Pan Books)
  • City of Devils by Diana Bretherick (Orion)
  • The Scent of Death by  Andrew Taylor (Harper Collins

And there you have it. I might win something for ‘longest title in shortlist’, but honestly it’s great to be nominated and I’m proud to be in the line-up. Like all these things, I don’t think I have a chance, although the last time I said that I did win (The Last Laugh Award) and my nominated acceptor, the redoubtable Barry Forshaw (seen here left at last year’s bash) accepted for me with a speech I’d emailed to him in such a tiny point-size that when he got on the stage he found he couldn’t read it.

The final announcement will be televised on October 24th.

17 comments on “The Outsider Comes In From The Cold?”

1. Chris Mccall says:

Nice suit Chris

2. me says:

Oh good, I have been watching this. We have had Linwood Barclay and Malcom Mackay so far.

3. pheeny says:

Good luck!

4. Janet Wilson says:

Oh, you certainly DO have a chance! 🙂

5. Dan Terrell says:

Great. Good luck. This must the Year of the Nom! Win, please.

6. agatha hamilton says:

Good luck – it was a cracking good book!

7. snowy says:

There is a big trend for ‘double screening*’ these days.

It follows that the night that ‘Min is on the telly, people will go to look up who that dashing chap is.

It therefore might get very busy in the comments section as people explore the blog~.

*Watching TV and browsing with tablet/smartphone at the same time.

~Any agent worth their salt will implore authors to hang about on social media ‘things’ to greet punters on the night. [Though if anybody said that to me, they’d get a swift validiction Crécy style, before I arranged to vanish off to the pub for the night.]

8. Janet Wilson says:

Snowy, y’d best hav a pinta Strongbow when you get there with an arrer stickin out yer backside…

9. snowy says:

I’d rather drink out of the lavatory bowl than suffer that fizzy muck. [There has to be at least 50 decent zideerz made in the SW and still they serve that filth! Heavens!]

I’ll be quite safe, ‘arrows’ are not allowed in the Saloon, only in the Public, [entry at the rear, by the bins].

😉

Please arrange for some “real stuff” because Strongbow is all we get of British and the local stuff is even fizzier, although the Pear is quite good. Perhaps I’ll try some in Devon next May.

11. BangBang!! says:

The last time I drank scrumpy it was a brew called Kneecracker. I didn’t quite but it wasn’t through lack of trying. That genuinely will be the last time I drink scrumpy as well!!

12. Janet Wilson says:

A favourite in the cider houses of Bristol is Black Rat. Snowy is right, Strongbow is apple alco-pop.

13. snowy says:

Well they make original ciders in the Cowichan Valley BC, and one even won a prize at the Bath and West Show.

They say it can be bought from the ‘Bottle Jockey’ in the ‘Madison’. But I’d telephone first, they can be seasonal and once they have sold out that’s it until next year.

And you would know about the Cowichan Valley how, Snowy? They make a lot of wonderful things over there. I should look into it, thank you.

15. snowy says:

Me? What? Oh! Um… Nothing at all, oh no, definitely not, a little, um…. bird just whispered in my ear. Honest!

*Shuffles off, whistling innocently*

Snowy, the Master Googler!

17. Jon Masters says:

Nice to see and hear a moving, talking Admin tonight on the gogglebox – and great to hear the comments about IC from all featured. Here’s hoping for October !!