And You Hoped The Computer Age Would Bring New Intelligence

Film, Observatory

This from Japan, where extreme body modifiers inject saline into their foreheads (really – look it up). This device is less invasive, but I’d kind of hoped there would be better uses for technology by now.

Instead the internet age means that Ed Snowden will be waterboarded for revealing human rights infringements and Japanese girls will be admired for their tails.

11 comments on “And You Hoped The Computer Age Would Bring New Intelligence”

1. Dan Terrell says:

Thereby wags a tail.

2. Jo W says:

Oh for goodness sake!!

3. snowy says:

It is inevitable that any advance in science or technology gets abused by some one, [*innocent face*].

I do remember reading some years ago about a gentleman who arranged to have LEDs implanted into his “Orchid* container” so that it lit up like a Chinese lantern.

(*a knowledge of ancient greek will make this somewhat clearer.)

Isn’t it a good thing that orchid flowers are not currently called ballockwort. I don’t think anyone would want to grow them.
    What is it with Japanese girls that they take up these peculiar objects? They didn’t show us what happens when you’re frightened, but I assume the tail goes straight up and puffs out. Does the girl have to hiss?

5. Dan Terrell says:

Helen – I’ve had orchids for close to 40 years and never picked up on this early name of “ballockwort” for the plants. (This is why Admin’s blog is consistently interesting.) I suppose the term ballockwort derives from the cup-shaped flowers of many field or bog orchids – not referring here to the flycatchers of the marsh. Perry Rhodan and ballockwort in one reading, great.

6. pheeny says:

So he had luminous avacados !?

Handy for reading under the bedclothes I suppose 🙂

7. Wayne says:

Er what were you doing even looking for something like this? Weird the things people invent.

8. John Griffin says:

I assume the orchid-LEDs were called ‘London Embankment’ to keep the theme of ‘Prince Albert’ going. 😉

9. Mike Cane says:

Go read “Crooked Little Vein” by Warren Ellis. He’s also done many blog posts about body mods and his novel has some body modders as characters.

10. John says:

Why didn’t she catch the frisbee in her mouth?

Japan continues to be the cultivator of perversity. My partner told me young people are licking each other’s eyeballs, for erotic thrills presumably. As a result there are now large outbreaks of conjunctivitis among practitioners of this mating ritual.

And read ‘Gun Machine’ by Warren Ellis too!