The Giftwrapped Lobster

London

My New York pal Michele gives me this Christmas present:

Adoption papers for my partner and I of one Thorny Devil (Moloch Horridus, I kid you not) and one Squat Lobster. Details of the Thorny Devil’s life make surreal reading, from its habit of eating only one species of ant, and consuming up to 3,000 for dinner, one at a time, to its inflatable skin and unique rain-channeling back that funnels water to its mouth.

The lobster, on the other hand, is just a short, fat lobster. Oh, and they’re pickled in jars.

The Grant Museum of Zoology is one of the University College of London’s four slightly peculiar museums housed in the central London campus, and makes an ideal gift for the person who has everything (but not a Squat Lobster).

6 comments on “The Giftwrapped Lobster”

1. Pete says:

goes with the Red Gloves theme, I guess…

I had to look up the Thorny Devil. Australia astounds yet again, although this creature does look similar to the N. American horned lizard but is an example, they say, of convergent evolution. Are you allowed to take these adopted creatures for a walk in their jars? Why am I feeling echoes of a story line from somewhere?

Off topic but I have to mention it. We watched The Lady Killers last evening and enjoyed it thoroughly, especially Peter Sellers’ false teeth, but it was fascinating watching the streets through which it was happening: the building with the ‘lighthouse’ on top was there although they carefully kept the frame below the roof line, but King’s Cross station was very different and where did they get the studebaker car the robbers used as a distraction? I’m trying to place the street down which ‘Mrs.Lopsided’s house is found & wonder if there is some funny lens work going on. Sorry, but just had to mention it. Carry on.

4. stephen groves says:

Hi Chris,
    Happy New Year and all the best for the future.

STALKY

5. Steve says:

I think perhaps we should run one of these for President. Beats hell out of who’s available currently.

6. jan says:

hiya chris did u know that lobster blood is blue because instead of being based around the iron molecule the lobster equivalent(?) of haemoglobin is based around copper …..and also instead of replicating with less accuracy with age lobster DNA gets more and more accurate because of a substance which i think is caused telamarease (an enzyme) well there u go this just goes to prove staying at peoples houses over xmas and reading their readers digest fills u full of facts…….or something….. found some new stuff to send u and will soon as i get a bit more organized only been back in dorset a couple of days. Happy new year jan

Posted In