Skydancing

Film

Don’t try this at home. This July, the 24-year old Seanna Sharpe climbed 285 ft above the Williamsburg Bridge in New York City to perform a joyful, albeit illegal acrobatics show hanging from a double-silk cloud swing she created. Having danced across 26 countries, she moved to New York and graduated in 2010 with the world’s first BA in Circustentialism. I love that word. Get to the end of the video to find out the police reaction.

Aerialist Seanna Sharpe 285 Feet Over The Williamsburg Bridge from Ronen V on Vimeo.

7 comments on “Skydancing”

1. Dan Terrell says:

Now, that’s getting high in public. Great video, neat turn on an old stunt, amazing performance. You have got to have one of the most interesting blogs going and the sensibility to keep finding what’s really interesting.

2. J F Norris says:

When I was a kid I dreamed of running away and joining the circus as a clown. Now you can run off to college and major in Circustentialism. I love it! So many young people these days have basic circus skills you don’t even have to go to a circus any more. Just go to a party in any college town and you’ll meet jugglers, magicians, and lots and lots of acrobats. It’s odd but sometimes I think we’re travelling back in time even with all our love of technowizardry.

3. J F Norris says:

Just finished watching the whole thing. I loved her descent – kept performing all the way down. Also liked her balletic stretching bits while she was handcuffed. Amazing! Thanks so much for posting this, Chris.

4. stephen groves says:

Brillient!Reminds me of Mrs Stalky on washing day.

STALKY

5. Magpie says:

What a wonderfully fun thing to do. It’s cheered me no end just watching the film, imagine seeing her doing it right there on the bridge; fabulous.

Haven’t been able to decide whether her smile is “roguish and laugh filled” or “professional performance face” covering nerves but I loved her performance, especially spinning in the bagged silk and twisting her hands back to her front. I wouldn’t have wanted to be those police officers, who must have known they wouldn’t be particularly popular.

7. J F Norris says:

Her website is gone! I was just there two days ago and I wanted to show some of her unusual work and ideas to some friends, but it’s completely dead now. “Account suspended.” hmm…

Posted In