Dead Weird

Film

Okay, I’ve reached the dead sea – just about to go and test its buoyancy – then I’ll be heading for the Israeli border to visit Jerusalem. After that, off into the desert to Petra. Wi-fi is not exactly prevalent here and I’ve yet to work out how to ward off the plague of flies determined to settle on me, but the people seem charming and my current hotel is a style we might call ’70s Monumental’…sort of Arabia designed by Albert Speer.

UPDATE
Okay, that was weird. The image of a man reading a newspaper while bobbing about in the Dead Sea turns out to be accurate. It’s impossible to swim in as you just stick half out of the water, and it tastes absolutely disgusting. Great crusted cakes of salt sit glittering around the edge of the sea. You can also coat yourself in viscous black mud with healing properties – I did this earlier and it made my skin go tingly and very soft.

I’ve embarked upon TE Lawrence’s ‘The Seven Pillars Of Wisdom’ and have to say it’s a very strange read, as he chooses to tackle the subject of soldier sex before even embarking upon the Palestinian campaign. Can’t see myself making my way through it, frankly.

7 comments on “Dead Weird”

1. Sparro says:

“Okay, I’ve reached the dead sea – just about to go and test its buoyancy”
    I liken it to swimming in contact-lens cleaning-liquid.

2. Gretta says:

That salty shore thing has to be one of the strangest things I’ve seen. Like a cross between a hoar frost and algal bloom.

I agree about the cleaning-liquid-thing – you can see waves of oily viscosity in the water. At least I can tick ‘Visited lowest point on earth’ off my list of things to do now!

4. J F Norris says:

Hmm… I always thought Death Valley desert was the lowest point on Earth. Maybe it’s the lowest in North America.

5. Vickie Farrar says:

Death Valley is the lowest place in the United States. The Dead Sea is the lowest place in the world. I have only been to the former…

6. Alan Morgan says:

Death Valley, the Dead Sea? We’re better-adjusted to our lowest place in England, which is in Norfolk and as any fule knos is the Magical Happy Chocolate Unicorn Tree.

Why the downer on lowest-places? Highest-places are rotten, all cold and covered with the frozen packets of discarded scampi-‘n-lemon flavour Nik-Naks*.

*A British corn based snack that smells like an errant sock found in a teenaged boys bedroom.

Death Valley is the lowest place in America. I just checked. It’s strange being beside a sea, but far below sea level. (It’s an inland sea)