Grey Piracy On The High e-Seas

Reading & Writing

According to PocketLint, older ladies are turning to piracy to download books. Almost one third of all tablet users download illegally, but the market is deepening as older adopters come on board and get to grips with book nickage. Personally I’m amazed anyone can be bothered to work out how to illegally download a book. It would appear to be more complex than swiping music. People are turning to piracy partly because they can’t find ebooks available, and publishers are having trouble sorting out rights, setting the right prices and decent payments to authors.

One thing that might stop piracy is the imminent arrival of first gen full-colour touchscreen readers, which should really shake up the ereader market. A touch-screen Kindle is the only thing that would make me abandon my stylish Sony Ereader, as I’m tired of trying to negotiate the Waterstones website only to find they don’t have anything I want available as a download.

Lately, for the first time since I bought my ereader, I’ve been purchasing books again. Although attempting to read Grant Morrison’s ‘Supergods’ in bed without dropping it and breaking my nose isn’t easy, it wasn’t available on ePub.

8 comments on “Grey Piracy On The High e-Seas”

1. Martha says:

Older ladies are turning to piracy to download books.

If you had to live on pensions as limited as ours – you would too.

How do you afford the e-reader in the first place, then, and has austerity closed all the libraries? (I sound like Scrooge, on about the workhouses.)

3. J F Norris says:

In my hasty scanning of blogs (as always ) I misread that heading as “Gay Piracy on the High Cs” and was expecting something a little racier. Oh, I’m a fricking sad case these days, Mr Fowler. A call to the ophthalmologist is in order…and maybe a little mind cleansing as well.

4. Jerry Boyajian says:

Personally, I won’t be bothering with ebooks until certain favorite authors’ works become available only as ebooks. I really dislike reading from a screen for prolonged periods. And there’s something about the heft of a “real” book in my hands that’s part of the enjoyment of the reading process (and why I prefer hardcovers over paperbacks).

5. Joorahn says:

“attempting to read Grant Morrison’s ‘Supergods’ in bed without dropping it and breaking my nose isn’t easy”

You must read in some very strange positions. Or is that a euphemism? Maybe I’m in need of some mind cleansing too…

6. Lisa says:

I love my Kindle! I would like a color touch screen as well as the e-ink, though. My favorite feature of the Kindle is the built in dictionary. I love reading Bryant and May and just popping over to the unfamiliar words with the cursor and up pops the definition. B&M are great vocabulary builders and I learn lots about London all at the same time I enjoy the story.

7. Steve says:

My wife bought me the whole set of…er, what’s it called? Oh, Game of Thrones, in real live books. I’m enjoying reading books again, but the print is pretty squinty, even with glasses. Glasses on me, not the print. I could do somethng about that on ipad or kindle, but real books remain stubbornly themselves.

8. Steve says:

….Or is that “stubbornly remain themselves”?

Whatever.