Something We Haven’t Heard Before

The Arts

Musically speaking there’s your actual techno and your actual chamber orchestra and never the twain shall meet, unless you’re Michael Nyman, who is virtually the only person I can think of who gets close to combining the driving sound of post 1950 music with the harmonic purity of a roving band of players – until, it seems, Brandt Brauer Frick turned up with this rather extraordinary sound creating ‘electro without electro’.

One in the eye for those who say that the creators of dance music aren’t musicians, but I have a horrible feeling they might all end up with RSI.

6 comments on “Something We Haven’t Heard Before”

1. Glenn says:

For RSI risk I know of little to compete with some of Steve Reich’s works. I recently attended a performance of Music For 18 Musicians by the London Sinfonietta, during which the players regularly took over each others’ instruments without pausing the playing itself; presumably to give each other a rest, though it was also unintentionally (?) a neat bit of theatre, as pianists and marimba-players intertwined arms to swap places in mid-beat.

2. Vickie Farrar says:

Once again, you have shared something unique, unusual and interesting. And (sob) once again I have dashed off to amazon.com to purchase an item based on your sharing. Although delightful, it is oft costly for me to enjoy your offerings…

but: THANK YOU!

3. Jerry Boyajian says:

OK, this is going to sound weird, but it reminds me of the how Queen used to say “No synthesizers!” on their early albums. Some of their songs sounded like they used synthesizers until you listened closely, and realized that they really weren’t using any.

4. Steve says:

Nothing wrong with synthesizers. I use them frequently; I don’t have the room for an entire orchestra. It’s really in HOW they’re used. I do refuse to use synthesized guitars however; but that’s because I’m a guitarist. I have no problem with other people using them. Use what works. I’ve used old spring matresses for unique sounds. Your imagination is the only limitation.

5. I.A.M. says:

There’s a good deal of uses for the old spring mattresses with one’s imagination… Oh! You meant for actual music! Ah, that’s different…

A large part of St. Germain’s albums were done with non-synthesizers, but you had to look at the liner notes to realize it. That said, loops and synths were used freely too.

@Glenn, was there any real point to the musicians changing instruments? It would have been fun to watch but did it demonstrate musicianship or just physical agility?