Hell To Pay

London

In Mervyn Peake’s ‘Mr Pye’, the titular hero grows horns or a halo depending on whether he experiences goodness or evil. I think this settles the argument about the world’s antichrist press baron. Of course, the Devil usually needs a few ferocious female acolytes, which explains the desperate clinginess of Wendi and the Ginger Pig.

7 comments on “Hell To Pay”

1. Oh, now really – low blow. I mean Murdoch? No really, thanks for that. I’m not that evil.

2. Simon says:

Very good.

3. Joyce says:

ginger pig?! hahahaha. Gives pigs a bad name.

4. Joyce says:

I was once told, “All journalists are scum” which I thought a bit sweeping at the time but now I wonder… all those glasshouses and people with stones in their hands…

5. Alan Morgan says:

Let’s not jump on the latest jolly groupthink. Journos aren’t drowning puppies, selling arms or pushing half-arsed medicines – but they might well show who are. Sure there are scummy hacks, working for scummy hack papers and they choose to do so but it was and will be journos if anyone that can oppose that. I’m sure it’s delighting politicians and big business alike for journos to be reviled. Similarly and whilst the like of us can chortle and delight in Murdoch’s troubles I doubt many B&M fans bought NotW anyway. It’s not some victory against ignorance. It’s not that without the NotW the views and readership vanish in order to pick up the Observer instead, much as you or I might wish that to be the case.

Of course not – and let’s remember that many journos write across the board of the press range, switching from The Guardian to the Daily Mail and back.

7. Joyce says:

I never actually
    bought the NOTW…but I read it here and there!!