Is There Anywhere In London You Can’t See It From?

London

The South Bank Silly Fountain (you stand inside it and wait for the jets to ascertain whether or not you’ll get soaked) seems to have become permanent now – let’s have more silly things in London! I personally like the leaning slab statue on the South Bank – I love watching people trying to work out what it is, and it’s fun to watch the penny finally drop. (I’ll take a photo next time I pass it).

Meanwhile, walking down Tottenham Court Road, I was astonished to see this. They’ve knocked down so many buildings at the end of the road that you can, rather improbably, see…(click on the picture and look above the yellow tower)

11 comments on “Is There Anywhere In London You Can’t See It From?”

1. Alan says:

It is one of the things I like about London – a lot smaller than people think.

2. Vickie Farrar says:

It took me a couple of tries to figure out what I was supposed to be seeing….PHEW! I actually spotted it and knew what it was! Again, great fun London pictures…

The whole country is a lot smaller than people think.

4. Steve says:

Not seeing it and, of course, refusing to ask.

5. Tony says:

@Steve- two words: Eye, London. Do you see it now?

6. Steve says:

Um, yes. Thanks Tony. Damned “eye-sore” is more like it.

7. Terenzio says:

In the background where the crane is hanging about, aren’t they demolishing and redeveloping the plaza under and around Center Point in conjunction with the new Crossrail Transport Hub?

The only building recently demolished at southern end of Tottenham Court Road was the Astoria across the street from Centre Point and it was not actually on Tottenham Court; it was on Charing Cross Road. In this photo you would not have been able to see the Astoria. Standing at the intersection of Great Russell Street and Tottenham Court Road or standing a little ways down, you could always make out the very top of the London Eye, unless I’ve been dipping a little too much into the Absinthe.

8. Alan says:

*runs and hides from Terenzio*

9. Andy says:

Indeed, in this photograph Mr Fowler is standing outside 257/258 Tottenham Court Road (very distinctive red and white ornamental arches) and while the Google Streetview for that location is not as high a resolution, you can still see the London Eye in the background and it appears to have been taken before all the building work on the new station began.

You do realize that with Google Streetview it is possible to pretend to be a denizen of any interesting place you choose rather than the one in which you actually exist?

11. Andy says:

True, I love Streetview, although in this case the place where the photo was taken is about five minutes walk away from where I work.