What To Do In London While It’s Icy

London, Reading & Writing, The Arts

This was the view from my lounge this morning, taken on my iPhone with the excellent free Gorillacam app. For the first time I can remember, the entire Battlebridge canal has frozen. Frost has covered the roof of St Paul’s, and the city looks calm and wintry. It’s a good time to visit museums or go to the theatre. At Christmas I visited the Geffrye Museum of living rooms, which traces the history of English homes and are seasonally decorated every year.
Next I’m heading for Robert Opie’s Museum of Brands in Notting Hill, which reveals the hidden history of packaging and advertising. Opie has spent his life collecting and collating ephemera – smartly, as it turns out, because the details of social life are often more revealing (the BBC famously wiped all of its television tapes to save money and re-use them, except for the Shakespearian productions, which tell us little about the times in which they were filmed.)

Another on my list this week is the Museum in Docklands, which covers the history of the area from the Roman settlements to the docklands’ transformation in the nineties, and regularly holds special exhibitions (last year’s ‘Jack the Ripper and the East End’ was deemed a huge success).

6 comments on “What To Do In London While It’s Icy”

1. I.A.M. says:

Rosemary’s Baby may be the most disturbing film I’ve ever seen. I knew nothing much about it on the way into the story, other than ‘Mia Farrow’s haircut was done by Vidal Sasoon and he was just making a name for himself and his new styles’. At the end of the film, I said “we’re never having sex ever again” which was met with a look akin to “bless, love.” Needless to say this attitude of celibacy of mine was short-lived.

The marketing and advertising museum sounds incredible, and for those in the Portland Oregon area, there’s a Museum of Advertising there also.

2. martin says:

Of the thrillers I’ve read recently, I would include the author Greg Rucka’s Atticus Kodiak series as the best of the recurring character thrillers. For single book reads (not part of a series) I would submit Book of air and shadows by Michael Gruber. Ther’s another book about a lost copy of Cardenio that everyone is chasing, that ends up in the American southwest desert that was decent. I forget the title though. Also, The Army of the Republic by Stuart Cohenn was good.

3. Steve says:

I’ve read tons of “thrillers” in my life, but I can’t honestly say I have a favorite. It would have to surprise, shock and disturb me. Quite a few have to one degree or another, but there’s no title that honestly leaps out at me. I should give that some more thought.

I’ve moved the Thrillers discussion further up – sorry!

I hope that advertising museum has the “oldest trade mark in Britain” the Bass triangle. And now there’s a nameless at Jan. 10th at 3:42am. It’s beginning to spook me. Am I the only one getting this?

6. Anna Mellows says:

Yes Helen, we’ve got the Bass can! This will be moving into a new display case in February that looks at intellectual property in the field of brands over the past 150 years. I’m sure you’ll find this of interest.
    Anna – Museum of Brands