It’s Publication Day! (Again)

Bryant and May

ARTHUR BRYANT: ‘I once considered having a tattoo on my right bicep but I couldn’t make up my mind between Sir Robert Peel or Diana Dors.’

There are two required traits for any career writer, originality and consistency (and patience. THREE things, originality, consistency, patience and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope  – FOUR things!) Which brings me here to the 18th volume of Bryant & May nonsense with ‘England’s Finest’, a collection of twelve new missing cases taking their titles from various mentions in the novels – this is a traditional authorial habit initiated by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle which continues to this day.

The Peculiar Crimes Unit has solved many extraordinary cases over the years, but some were hushed up and hidden away until now. Arthur Bryant remembers these lost cases as if they were yesterday. Unfortunately, he doesn’t remember yesterday, so the newly revealed facts could come as a surprise to everyone, including his exasperated partner John May. Here, then, is the truth about the Covent Garden opera diva and the seventh reindeer, the body that falls from the Tate Gallery, the ordinary London street corner where strange accidents keep occurring, the consul’s son discovered buried in the unit’s basement, the corpse pulled from a swamp of Chinese dinners, a Hallowe’en crime in the Post Office Tower, and the impossible death that’s the fault of a forgotten London legend. There’s an introduction by Raymond Land, and the detectives’ long-suffering sergeant Janice Longbright gets to reveal her own forgotten mystery.

These twelve crimes must be solved without the help of modern technology, mainly because nobody knows how to use it. Expect misunderstood clues, lost evidence, arguments about Dickens, churches, pubs and disorderly conduct from the investigative officers they laughingly call ‘England’s Finest’.]

So there you go, something for everyone. And for the 450,000th time Bryant & May are being discussed as a TV series, so who knows, one day long after I’m dead someone will get the repeat fees. Meanwhile, sit back and enjoy, although I’m sure you have far more important things to do. Vivat vetus hominibus!

14 comments on “It’s Publication Day! (Again)”

1. Debra Matheney says:

Just ordered my copy. Need a good antidote to politics on both sides of the pond, which grow more ridiculous by the day. Halloween is a great day for the release.
    Good luck getting the series to TV. Great ad highly adaptable projects seem to be overlooked.

2. Brian Evans says:

I have just finished “The Lonely Hour” which I really enjoyed. Good luck with this one, and let’s hope a TV series will be finally commissioned.

3. Martin Tolley says:

Arrived from Amazon YESTERDAY at teatime! Looks like a weekend of fun to come.

4. Donna Wood says:

Halloween in Western Australian wasn’t the warm spring evening we expected, but thunderstorm and howling wind. Somehow I felt I would take comfort in Bryant and May. Back to the Water Room. But kept having a feeling I should check the Internet. Didn’t till now (All Souls’ Day) and was delighted to see Halloween not only publication date, but also a story involving the Post Office Tower. Am 75 and probably won’t be around for a TV series, but just wanted to thank you for your peerless imagination and creativity. You are one of the few authors I re-read with great pleasure. Thanks also to Bryant and May who obviously sent me the slightly spooky message for Halloween. Long may they thrive.

Ha! Mr. Tolley. I have perhaps two weeks to wait.

6. Martin Tolley says:

Helen. Easy for me to say I know, but the wait IS worth it. There are some real gems in this collection. I actually think I will have to ration myself. I want something to keep for Crispers morning.

7. John Howard says:

Yaaay… mine’s on its way.

8. Liz Thompson says:

Arrived yesterday. To my home address. Unfortunately, I am away from home for the week.

9. Sylvia Shepperson says:

I’m reading this at the moment and it’s really excellent but I’m confused by The Antichrist, without giving too much away any chance of a diagram?

Sylvia, lift your finger after the first two numbers, so that you get two strokes. Or DM me on Twitter @Peculiar and I’ll draw you a diagram.

11. J. Folgard says:

I’ve been getting each & every book since ‘the Water Room’ at the same bookshop, it’s become a little tradition. Really looking forward to it!

12. John Griffin says:

Sad to relate, I am rationing myself to one tale at a time, with days in between. My wife’s sole comment was ‘oh, you’re well onto the second shelf’ (Fowler on the bookshelf).

13. Ian Luck says:

It’s on a list. It’s the only thing I can think of wanting for C*******s. And no, ‘Santa’, or ‘Satan’ won’t be bringing it. It’ll be my brother, or his partner, and probably from Limpopo, or whatever that shopping site is.

14. Greg Delaney says:

At the end of the Antichrist what is the relevance of the last sequence of numbers that Arthur gives to John?