New Cover Revealed

Bryant and May

‘England’s Finest’ is out in October, and I know this is still a rough and I probably shouldn’t be showing it yet but I’m so excited and love it so much. Once again showing the flagrant disregard for geographical accuracy that has been with us from ‘Strange Tide’ onwards, ‘England’s Finest’ offers a wonky view of Covent Garden, wherein the tube station has now magically aligned itself with the side of the Garden’s canopy, but think of this like those Superman comic covers that never quite told the truth.

It’s the scene of the first missing case in the book, ‘The Seventh Reindeer’, about an attack on an opera singer, and is based on a true story told to me by friends. There are twelve such investigations and the book is introduced by poor Raymond Land, as mystified as ever. I love the wealth of detail in the picture and Mr Bryant’s callous disregard for the corpse.

19 comments on “New Cover Revealed”

1. Mike says:

I’m cleaning my reading glasses already!

2. Brooke says:

Non.

3. snowy says:

It’s a very nice piece of artwork, even a cack-handed philistine like me can see that.

But an Xmas themed cover is really going to kill year round sales.

For an Oct release to catch the 2019 Xmas market, it would work, but by Boxing Day it would look staler than a week old mince pie. Any inventory that doesn’t sell by then is just going to be returned or remaindered [and pulped].

A Xmas version and then reissue in a new cover Jan 2020?

Seems a very complicated affair.

4. Cornelia Appleyard says:

I don’t think anyone who has read the other books in the series will be deterred by a festive cover.

5. snowy says:

You are quite right C, but ‘preaching to the converted’ isn’t going to increase the ‘congregation’ and put ‘money on the plate’.

[Horrible metaphor, I know, but the best I can do at short notice, sorry, sorry!]

Snowy, the last missing cases collection also had a Christmas theme and did very well, so I don’t think they’re worried.

7. Debra Matheney says:

Lovely cover. Can’t wait.

8. snowy says:

Oops!

*blushes*

[I should really know that a previous book had an Xmas-y cover, given what I did to the artwork.]

*smites/smotes[delete as applicable⁽ᵃ⁾] forehead*

[It’s HOT, Ok!]

*stomps off to look at covers*

‘Londons Glory’ wasn’t quite so explicitly Xmas as this one though. [If you don’t know the Oxford Street lights it doesn’t ‘resonate’ at all as Xmas.] This one is so ‘In your face’ you can smell the brandy butter on its breath.

I have reservations, but it was, is and will forever remain exclusively your call.

*Bows, does Louis de Funes – complicated hat waving thing⁽ᵇ⁾.*

We could have a popular vote? A sort of Referendum, [though the last one of those, well you know!], perhaps not.

⁽ᵃ⁾ [Not starting that argument again!]

⁽ᵇ⁾ [Completely incomprehensible film reference except to the small number of English speakers that have ever watched ‘La Folie des grandeurs’ 1971 and can picture that exact scene. So no one apart from me probs. Culture – eh! Why do I bother? I’ll stick to knob gags and the post-mortem rituals of Ancient Britons, that usually kills them dead – boredom mostly!]

Snowy, London isn’t the only place with street light displays at Christmas. Even though ours arae much less flamboyant we do have them and I don’t see why a Christmas themed book should be undesirable away from that season. A snow filled and light sprinkled story should be just the thing for a heat wave read.

10. SteveB says:

Love it (the cover))!!! I’ll be buying the book just for that 😉

11. John Howard says:

Yup, I got the comment about the cover, not that I agree, but as you say Snowy, Chris is the man.
    If anything I think it may help random sales for people looking to buy a Christmas present and, oh look, there is a Christmas themed book there, that will do.
    As for the converted. Hurrah, more to read.

12. Ian Mason says:

Am I the only one concerned that Arthur is going to do himself a mischief, clambering up there at his age?

13. Jo W says:

Loving the cover and looking forward to reading what will be inside. (Starts to tick off pages in diary. Gosh, there are a lot until the end of October!)

14. Andrew Holme says:

” Reindeer?”
    ” No, dear. Snow.”

He certainly does some mischief, Ian.

16. Martin Tolley says:

Customer: “Is venison expensive?”
    Butcher: “No, Not really.”
    Customer: “Oh that’s funny, I’d heard it was dead dear”

17. Inken Purvis says:

Any idea when it will be released in the US? Normally I order my B&M books in the UK and pick them up when I fly over to visit but this year I won’t be there in time to collect my copy 🙁

They haven’t picked it up yet but I’ve a feeling they will agree to publish – I won’t know when for quite a while yet. The UK edition will be mid-October.

19. gkbowood says:

GOOD!-More Raymundo! I love the voice given to Raymond Land in the recorded books by Tim Goodman- can’t wait t hear his intros 😉