Pride Comes Before A Party

London

Right, the giant flags are up around the flat (the one over the canal is particularly fetching), the helicopters are circling overhead and it’s threatening to rain – it must be London Pride then! To every one of the one million people expected in the capital today, to everyone who’s flying the flag, even Rymans the stationers who managed to stick plastic flags on their pens – chancers – have a great day and a wild evening.

I think, therefore, that we should have the campest song that I can find in my treasure box of naffery. I looked for ‘Do-Me-Do Duds’ from ‘The 5,000 Fingers of Dr T’ but couldn’t find the clip posted anywhere, so instead let’s have a rousing Weimar-era protest song updated from the original by the ever-divine Ute Lemper. The German gay anthem was popular throughout Germany from the moment it was made a record in 1921 until Hitler took power in early 1933.

6 comments on “Pride Comes Before A Party”

1. Ian Luck says:

I was very disappointed to hear on the news that attacks on the LGBT community were on the rise. There are still too many stupid and cowardly people out in the world, it would seem. That’s why today’s Pride march was more a protest, less a celebration. That made me rather sad. Pride in whatever facet of humanity or sexuality you are should be a joyous thing, and not tainted by a minority of ignorant knuckle-draggers.

2. snowy says:

I hope you are flying that the right way up, [if you’re not, you might have a flood of horny handed bargees coming to your rescue.]

Best wishes to every body at the various Pride events. Have a lovely day, [and night].

* runs off to find some Sylvester videos *

“Flags should never be displayed with upside-down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.”

3. Wayne Mook says:

Sadly intolerance seems to be growing in all quarters, a show of solidarity like Pride is needed, as Ian says it sh ll calibration.

Wayne.

4. Brooke says:

Overheard: in very conservative southern baptist church, minister announces that next Sunday’s services will end early. Young people in congregation, “Great! We can go to the Pride parade.”

Celebrate! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNQfuMX7Nus

5. Liz Thompson says:

In celebration of my gay brother and all his friends and my gay friends. Rejoice and celebrate our diversity.

We had a small incident a few weeks ago when a local church was flying a pride flag and there was graffiti committed. I’m told things have calmed but it’s the weird other things that happen that depress people. After assuring me that the Ladner incident was over my friend said that his neighbourhood garden plot downtown had been damaged. There were a dozen blooms on the rose bush and they were broken off and tossed into the plot. “Was someone trying to send me a message or was it just random vandalism?” That’s the worst, not knowing. And was it someone taking the chance it would hurt a target person or was it someone he knew? It makes me rage.