It Was A Hoot

Observatory

We decided to stay on a few days in Cadiz; it was cooler than London or Paris (which is apparently hotter than Death Valley). So, straight into the Sixth Extinction with Trump, Johnson and the rest of the deranged madmen now running the world. Next year, 60 other Indian cities follow Chennai into a waterless future. The husband’s doom-laden pronouncements of ‘all fighting each other for food by 2025’ seems to be correct.

It was a good trip. For some reason I ended up in the sierras surrounded by owls (It’s okay, I have a leather glove on). Watching flamingos lifting from the salt inlets of the Isla Minima was a delight, and moving between empty towns and deserted villages you feel as if all the complaints about tourism are exaggerated – until a look at the facts reveals who is moving and where; the Chinese are by far the world’s biggest tourists, and they all want to go to there Eiffel Tower, which is…weird. Me, I’m interested in the hinterlands – odd corners where dodgy saints are buried and locals are disappearing.

Tomorrow I’m back in London and burying myself in the second draft of the next Bryant & May book. My research will involve rhythmic sounds, churches, songs, fake news, autism, madness, fruit and impossible deaths. I’m looking forward to it immensely.

7 comments on “It Was A Hoot”

1. Bernard says:

Where can we buy the Citroën DS t-shirt?

2. Ian Luck says:

Looks like you found a ‘Cracking Owl Sanctuary’, like that beloved of Alan Partridge.

3. Roger says:

The Rev. Francis Kilvert’s friend Miss Child visited London with her sister and her pet owl Ruth:

She and her sister stranded in London at night went to London Bridge hotel (having missed the last train) with little money and no luggage except the owl in a basket. The owl hooted all night in spite of their putting it up the chimney, before the looking glass, under the bedclothes, and in a circle of lighted candles which they hoped it would mistake for the sun. The owl went on hooting, upset the basket, got out and flew about the room. The chambermaid almost frightened to death dared not come inside the door. Miss Child asked the waiter to get some mice for “Ruth” but none could be got.

4. Martin Tolley says:

Roger,
    Thank you so much for that. Still laughing….

5. John Howard says:

Those looks say it all. I’m sure there is an internal dialogue going on between the two of you. Something along the lines of “Are we really sure we both want to do this”

I bought the T-shirt in Lithuania.

The word for ‘a passion for owls’ is ‘strigomania’.

7. Jan says: