Halloween Horror Choice

Film

So what did we decide to view for Halloween? (And are we dropping the apostrophe now?)

HP Lovecraft adaptations, good call. There are a couple of terrific HP Lovecraft films I’ve mentioned here before called ‘The Valdemar Inheritance’ and ‘The Valdemar Legacy’. As an added bonus they have Edgar Allen Poe and Conan Doyle in. There’s a nifty little Halloween-set number called ‘Trick ‘R’ Treat’ that might fit the bill. How about a midnight movie show of ‘It Follows’ and ‘Hereditary’?

For some slightly more offbeat creepy shockers try ‘Sleep Tight’, about a building concierge (the always-amazing Luis Tosar) who lets himself into residents’ apartments, ‘Orphanage’, in which the heroine goes back to the home she grew up in and finds it inhabited by ghosts, and ‘The Vanishing’ (original version, not the Hollywood remake), which turns a sunlit, busy gas station into something terrifying.

‘The Invitation’ and ‘The Gift’ are both creepy slow-build spins on suburban life, as is the funny-frightening Coen Brothers-scripted movie ‘Suburbicon’, with Matt Damon going off the charts. ‘Under The Shadow’ is a British-Iranian film about a woman who finds that a djinn has been released into her house, and is superbly spooky. ‘The Witch’ is a brilliant exercise in Salem-type horror, and ‘The Belko Experiment’ has an entire office full of people fighting for survival.

Finally any late film with Nicholas Cage in should do it. Try ‘Mom & Dad’ or ‘Mandy’. My choice; ‘Train To Busan’ – a unique zombie movie set on board a commuter train, so popular that there’s a very good feature-length prequel that goes with it – and that one is animated!

7 comments on “Halloween Horror Choice”

1. Porl says:

Im going to take a day off work and watch all these back to back! 🙂

Yes, let’s leave the apostrophe in there as a gesture to the history of language.
    I was handed a copy of “The Strain” tonight, written apparently by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. One person told me that it was “rather a different take on vampires” and that it has a lot of action, “reading rather like a film script.” Given that Mr Del Toro is involved neither of those statements is surprising, but this is not a title any of you have mentioned (unless I missed something). Where does this fit in the list of Del Toro oeuvres? or are we putting a known name on a work by a newer writer to pump sales? Just asking.

I think he co-wrote the original book and was a producer on the series. I haven’t seen it and don’t consider it to be part of his canon.

Thank you. In that case I will book cross it for those who are attracted.

5. Martin Parker says:

How about ‘The Devils backbone’ a Guillermo Del Toro puzzle box of a ghost story?

6. Ian Luck says:

I have never actually rated All Hallow’s Eve, actually. It has turned into a tacky kids’ party. I much prefer the far darker April 30 – Walpurgisnacht. All but forgotten, but the classic night on which one should think very, very carefully about venturing out after dark. Beloved of writers of dark fiction – Bram Stoker’s lovely prelude to ‘Dracula’, ‘Dracula’s Guest’ takes place on April 30, as does Robert E Howard’s tale ‘The Black Stone’. Usually, people remember the date just too late to save themselves. Odd, that.

Hallowe’en has been about children for a very long time, since post WWII in my experience and about nasty tricks in my parents’ time. (Mother was from farming communities and knew personally the young fellows who moved out houses and disassembled buggies then reassembled them on barn roofs. She and Dad were both aaware of the soaping of shop windows.)