Everyone Has A Fantasy (Film, That Is)

Film

(Updated)

Fantasy films were the first things I saw at the cinema (although my mother did also drag me to George Bernard Shaw’s ‘The Devil’s Disciple’). It started, as I imagine it once did for a great many people, with ‘The Wizard of Oz’, which was rereleased in London at least twice a year.

At some point when I wasn’t paying attention fantasy films became geared uniquely to children, most exclusively to 6 year-olds, which is how we arrive at another remake of ‘The Grinch’ – not a very interesting little book to begin with – this Christmas. Happily Pixar never insults our intelligence; ‘Up’, Ratatouile’ and ‘Toy Story 3’ are particularly adept at appealing to wider ages.

It’s hard to define ‘fantasy’ – would you count ‘King Kong’, ‘Jurassic Park’, all the superhero films? Where does science fiction take over? I recently rewatched George Pal’s ‘Atlantis, the Lost Continent’ (its low budget hidden by added scenes from MGM’s ‘Quo Vadis’) and Dennis Wheatley’s bizarre Sargasso Sea adventure ‘The Lost Continent’ (double bill; see what I did there?) Other films are harder to define. Is ‘Into The Woods’ a fantasy? How about ‘The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind’ or ‘Being John Malkovich’?

Here are a few I would count as memorable fantasies;

Jason and the Argonauts

For its sense of gods controlling men, for its world-building and its un-Hollywoody characters (Hercules is a non-muscular middle-aged man) and for Talos, and that head-turn which terrified millions of children, including me. Ray Harryhausen had a delightful imagination and a tin ear for scripts. Luckily one of Jason’s writers had worked with Fritz Lang and it shows here – there’s a dark sense of unstoppable fate at work in this 1963 version that’s missing in the embarrassing Hallmark remake.

The Thief of Bagdad

Spelled without an ‘H’. From its epic colourful vistas to its thundering score, Korda’s adventure must have come as a shock to Britons at the start of a world war. I first saw it in an arthouse cinema, and remember being haunted by the kali-esque green goddess and by the spider, but it’s an oddly scrappy movie too – in the scene before the flying horse takes off you can clearly see that it has a smashed hoof, but I like that sort of thing; suspension of disbelief overrides the faults.

In Search of the Castaways

Minor Jules Verne but an overlooked classic of a film fantasy, as Victorian children set off in search of their father and end up being snatched by a giant condor in the Andes, outrunning a tsunami and upsetting the volcano gods, not to mention being sung to by Maurice Chevalier while stuck up a tree with an angry jaguar. Children who saw it all mention the ice-ride. It looks shoddy now, of course, but it’s also wonderful. ‘A thousand thrills and Hayley Mills!’ said the poster.

Mousehunt

It’s man against mouse! But strangely, so much more, somewhere between a black comedy and a fable. The chemistry between two great comics, Nathan Lane and Lee Evans, is palpable (they teamed together again for the London production of ‘The Producers’, way funnier than the New York version) as two brothers seek to sell a rare masterpiece of a house, only to be defeated by a rodent who may contain a dead man’s spirit. It has the feeling of a classic fairytale, although it does also feature Belgian hair models on fire.

tom thumb

No caps, remember. I always preferred this George Pal UK movie to ‘The Wizard of Oz’, with which it was always paired, partly because it exists in an enclosed fairytale world that feels as European as ‘The Singing Ringing Tree’, and because its villains, Terry-Thomas and Peter Sellars, are perfect. The film was a dream for Pal, who had of course begun his career making fairytale shorts. It does feel like being read to at night by a favourite aunt.

Up

Pixar at a peak in every way, confounding expectations again and again in a gentle, non-violent pastel-hued story with its roots in fact – a very American urban legend about a man tying balloons to a picnic chair. It has a touch of The Wizard of Oz, but in reverse, no stereotypical characters, that tearful opening and the best animated dog ever.

Edward Scissorhands

Tim Burton doesn’t always get it right – his casting is often all over the place, his ‘Alice’ films were disastrous and although much of ‘Sweeney Todd’ is superb it misses the grand chorale sections he chose to cut. Burton’s only perfect movie benefits from being a true labour of love; a cross between Frankenstein, Pleasantville and a Grimm’s fairy tale, and set in 1950s US suburbia, its madder elements sit perfectly comfortably within a Conservative America where to show difference is to become an outcast. It was successfully turned into a ballet by Matthew Bourne, such are its timeless elements.

Into The Woods

Here, a problematic, overlong play by Jungian psychologist James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim is untangled and clarified, making it much easier for first-timers to follow. Four fairytales (three well-known, one invented) cross each other’s paths and bring about the wrong consequences, but the woods are a metaphor for life’s troubles, and death arrives suddenly. It’s a miracle Disney left its message of loss, blame and alternate families intact. The songs are brief and downbeat (except for the hilarious ‘Agony’) but they aid the story.

Brazil

SF or fantasy? Clearly an alternative timeline of Great Britain seen from the 1980s, but its style spawned a host of inferior imitators up to the recent ‘Mute’. What pushes it into fantasy is not the Orwellian template but Gilliam’s use of surrealism to show emotional responses. They say opera is created when singing is the only viable response to extreme situations, but here a man wrapped in a tornado of paper or pipework represents rulebound society.

The Purple Rose of Cairo

Wish-fulfilment brings unhappy Mia Farrow a dashing lover, who has stepped out of the silver screen for her. Woody Allen brings to life the idea that in depression-era America the movies literally saved lives – but of course a fantasy-come-true so often brings its own problems. Easily my favourite Allen film.

I’d also add Jupiter’s Moon, Kontroll, The Blacksmith and the Devil and A Bothersome Man to the list. Which fantasy films haunted you? All suggestions welcome, especially world cinema.

16 comments on “Everyone Has A Fantasy (Film, That Is)”

1. Diane Englot says:

You hit the nail for me with Jason and the A’s. The sound that Talos makes when he moves, still sends the shivers down my spine…and his eyes (or lack of) and the Harpies. Hera scared me, too, every time she opened her eyes.

Mousehunt is underated. It’s hysterical. Christopher Walken.

2. Stephen Winer says:

Actually, Into the Woods was directed by Rob Marshall.

3. Roger says:

Not sure if they’re fantasy or deranged SF: “La cité des enfants perdus” and “Delicatessen” both have surrealist aspects which are wonderfully effective and – now I’m onto French films – “Les Triplettes de Belleville” – which justifies my habit of staying to the end of the final credits – and “Attila Marcel”..

Sorry Stephen – I switched paragraphs at the last minute – correcting now.

5. Bruce Rockwood says:

Starfish is great. Robert De Niro is cast against type. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai is quasi-SF, but really a fantasy with Peter Weller.

6. Bruce Rockwood says:

Stardust. Darn autocorrect!

7. Ian Luck says:

Jason And The Argonauts. Once seen, never forgotten. Nigel Green (one of my favourite character actors) plays Hercules exactly as I imagined him. A normal looking man, but incredibly strong. Talos is perfect nightmare fuel for young children. I had that metallic screech his neck makes, as he turns to look at Hercules, as my ringtone for a while. Never missed a call. Any of Harryhausen’s movies float my boat, including 1964’s ‘First Men In The Moon’. Another film I love is Nathan Juran’s 1960 ‘Jack The Giant Killer’, with some wonderfully child-unfriendly monsters. Alexander Korda’s 1935 ‘The Man Who Could Work Miracles’ is another much watched favourite of mine. It’s simply fun. Well, until his ambition overtakes him, that is. Would I class George Pal’s 1960 ‘The Time Machine’ as fantasy? Yes, I would, and it’s another movie I’ve watched countless times. I love everything about it. The over all look. The sets. The Iconic Time Machine itself. The plot. Russell Garcia’s beautiful ‘English’ score. All add up to a beautiful whole.

8. Roger says:

…and the wonderful Orphée – rereleased soon – is fantasy.
    It would almost be worth being dead if it meant being driven away by Maria Casares.

9. Eva Balogh says:

There are some very fine films cited here. I agree wholeheartedly re The Purple Rose of Cairo.

I would add (in no particular order), with apologies for lack of letter accents.

Georges Melies’ films – A Trip to the Moon (1902) is, for me, a masterpiece.
    Pan’s Labyrinth (2006. Guillermo del Toro)
    Beauty and The Beast/La Belle Et La Bete (1946. Jean Cocteau)
    Wings of Desire (1987. Wim Wenders)
    Excalibur (1981. John Boorman)
    The Seventh Seal (1957. Ingmar Bergman)
    Spirited Away (2001. Hayao Miyazaki) Quite possibly the best animation ever.
    Ghost in the Shell (1995. Mamoru Oshii) I guess this might be Sci-Fi??

And, Groundhog Day (1993. Harold Ramis), along with Ghostbusters 1 (1984. Ivan Reitman), if they are classed as such.

Now I have been reminded of such great films, I’m going to have a mini film fest!

10. Ian Luck says:

Seeing mention of ‘Orphee’ made me think of Cocteau’s exquisite ‘La Belle et La Bete’. Now that is a fantasy. And astonishing for 1946, when France was still in a parlous state after the German occupation.

11. Peter Dixon says:

Didn’t Michael Moorcock do the screenplays for a number of those early 70’s British fantasy movies? Often with Doug McClure in full James T. Kirk bare chest pomp? Colour turned up to 11 with extra filters. Polystyrene boulders. Peter Cushing doing his annoying Dr. Who schtick. Jumpers for goalposts. Caroline Munro and Imogen Hassall (her dad painted the ‘Skegness Is So Bracing’ fisherman), if you were lucky Gabrielle Drake….

Must put my slippers on the cat and let the budgie out for the night.

12. snowy says:

World cinema?…..

* scratches head *

Something sensible:

Avril et le Monde truqué [French-Belgian-Canadian co-prod. should tick a few boxes.] Didn’t seem to get a UK release, but can be streamed.

And for something extreeeeeeemly silly we must turn to Australia.

Imagine a world threatened by a leather-clad, whip wielding Christopher Lee; who sings and dances to numbers written by Richard O’Brian……..!

They made such a film, it even won an award at the Sitages Film Festival. [But the box office receipts were disappointing, $55k on a budget of $7M.]

Just as well I lost my comment. April and the Extraordinary World was an unexpected translation, but Snowy, after watching the trailer I want to see that film – it even has a talking cat as well as a steam punk world for 1940.

14. snowy says:

It got a full release in your part of the world, so you should be able to…. ???? …. * tippy-tappy keyboard noises * …. grab one of the 5 copies in the local library system …. * clickly-clicky mouse * …. 2 are out, but it’s available at Metro, Cameron and Tommy D.

Good Lord, Snowy, that is assistance beyond anything expected. I’m headed to Metrotown in the next day or so, so I’ll check it out there.

16. Ian Luck says:

I’ll add another, if I may. I simply could not remember the title the other day, but, like a lot of things, it popped into my head unbidden, whilst I was making myself a cup of tea.(I think a sign that one has grown up, is finding pleasure in buying simple, mundane things like nice tea, or some really good cheese. Or is that just me?) Anyway, the movie is Luc Besson’s 2010 ‘Les Aventures Extraordinaires D’ Adèle Blanc-Sec’. (The Extraordinary Adventures Of Adèle Blanc-Sec). A thing of mad, fun beauty. A revived Pterosaur flying through ‘Fin de siecle’ Paris. Re-animated mummies, and, at it’s heart, Adèle Blanc-Sec, a kind of female proto Indiana Jones. If you haven’t seen it, seek it out. It’s simply astonishing. And great fun, of course.