On The Move Again

Observatory

IMG_7728

London’s winter has been frosty and blazingly azure-skied this winter, and although in my flat it felt and looked like midsummer (no danger of getting SAD there), there was no snow.

After a couple of days back in Tallinn, Estonia I rediscovered snow along with the charm of the people, the food, the atmosphere, the Old Town, the open fireplaces and cobbled streets.

My favourite dishes this trip have included duck and cheese soup, tempura liver, wild boar and quail with lingonberries. Estonia and Latvia have some of the most wonderful and surprising recipes I’ve eaten anywhere, and the salads are spectacular wildflower affairs. Now I’m heading for the modern art museum and then home.

Or rather, not. Instead of attempting getting back to London on a non-existent Southern Region train it’ll actually be cheaper to take a couple more days off and head for Barcelona instead, where Christmas climaxed with El Dia de Reyes on January 6th.

Then it’ll be back to London to get on with ‘Hall of Mirrors’, next year’s Bryant & May novel, which will be set in 1969. If I can just crack the ending.

7 comments on “On The Move Again”

1. Brian Evans says:

The cooking in Estonia sounds like the concoctions the Liz Smith character use to turn out in “Vicar of Dibley”.

2. Wayne #1 says:

‘Hall of Mirrors’ Very intriguing ??? Another one to find space for, well that has to be an excuse to erect some more shelving…..

Tallin is Fabulous. So much to see and do. Loved our time there. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Too bad you missed the Day of the Kings – bet there were parades and everything, probably fireworks to end the season. We were supposed to wear crowns and come as royalty today.

I’ve seen it often enough before – you see one Gigante, you see ’em all!

5. Brooke says:

Are you an e-resident of Estonia? Beware giving up your biodata.

6. Jan says:

Chris don’t dash home Zone 1 tube strike.
    I was up in town last week (thank god not this week) and there were adverts saying avoid town this week. They evacuated one I f the big overground station this morning due to overcrowding

7. SteveB says:

Yeah yeah cheaper to trip off to Barcelona, a likely story
    Enjoy yourself 🙂