5 Dark Urban Adventures Are Back This Week!

Books

Hurrah! This Thursday sees the e-book release of my five Dark Urban novels, Rune, Red Bride, Disturbia, Psychoville and Soho Black. Designer Martin Butterworth created the beautiful matching covers for all twenty releases. ‘Roofworld’ and ‘Spanky’ are already available. All are priced just £2.99.

RUNE

Rune

Strange suicides occur in the city’s corridors of power. Coincidence, hallucination, chance and fate each reveal their part in the pattern that must be broken before others die…this is a modern take on Jacques Tourneur’s ‘Night Of The Demon’, with bar-codes being used by a sinister corporation in place of runes.

The book was inspired by my discovery that London Transport did a study about the chances of everyone who had a travel card turning up in one station on the same day – what if you could upset the laws of chance? The book features a very early appearance of Bryant & May (already fully formed).

RED BRIDE

Red Bride

A film editor sees a beautiful woman running through the rain at Waterloo Station, and is mystified to discover the girl re-enacting the same moment in a film he is cutting. The more he finds out about her, the more suspicious he becomes that she has been put on earth with the sole purpose of destroying him.

Well, this was really my ‘odd book out’, a thriller about a marriage made hell by a couple who can’t trust each other – even though their lives depend on it. It’s a relationship novel that can be read as paranoia or something genuinely evil. One particularly lurid passage made its way onto London Underground posters!

PSYCHOVILLE

Psychoville

This is  very dark satire in which a young couple share a psychologically damaging upbringing in a suburban new town. They return years later to find the neighbourhood unchanged, and carefully plot their revenge on everyone who hurt them.

It was inspired by my own upbringing, after we were forced out of our family home because of a road-widening scheme. The experience upset me greatly, and I plotted revenges that eventually found their way into this book. I was very pleased with the strange character of April, and there’s a terrific twist ending that I’m still proud of.

DISTURBIA

Disturbia

A working class journalist is challenged by an upper-class adversary (and the young woman whose love they share) to solve a series of fiendish hourly puzzles and survive the night in storm-swept London.

I had great fun writing this book, which is stuffed to the gills with weird London lore. My editor made me perform the tasks myself in order to time the events of the novel accurately. It gave me a chance to put lots of crazy-but-true stories and larger-than-life characters into one book. A screenplay exists, if anyone’s a budding director.

SOHO-BLACK

Soho Black

A stressed film executive walks into his Soho office and finds everyone wearing black. ‘Did I miss a meeting, or was there a funeral?’ he asks. Then he takes a trip into lifestyle-hell after he suffers a heart attack in a fashionable bar, and finds that he’s more respected dead than alive because he’s now fearless. But he won’t allow a little thing like mortality to hamper his career…

This was my funny/horrific take on the new macho work ethic of London, where risking all is considered a sign of executive bravery. It’s almost a zombie novel crossed with a Guy Ritchie movie, except that Shirley Bassey sings a number in it and nothing actually supernatural happens. Over the years, a lot of really famous people wanted to turn it into a film. *sound of crickets*

13 comments on “5 Dark Urban Adventures Are Back This Week!”

1. Jan says:

Rune one of the best books ever written twice

2. Jan says:

You know loads,and,loads,about films, Chris I love “Night of the Demon” even though it kicks off with seeing the monster which is normally an almighty error
    I reckon in the scenes in that film where Dana Andrews escapes from the magicians house and is in that wood well I think the photographer or Mr. JT himself inspired Steven Spielberg in Close Encounters and a couple of other of his early pictures you know the way the light fans out behind the trees. It’s really atmospheric.
    There’s a really good bit you put in “Rune” about the,way the Runes got passed on through carving, and tapestry and everyday things….it’s really clever and thoughtful.

3. Steve says:

Nice to have them as ebooks, it will complete the ebook set!
    Maybe some people will be interested that Bryant and May also appear in Disturbia and Soho Black.
    Didnt I read that Jacques Tourneur was forced to add the demon. By the way there’s a very nice french bluray release.

4. Brooke says:

Release timed for Bastille Day…clever.

5. Julie says:

Need to read Rune, as night of the demon is also one of my favorites, along with cat people. The British library sequence and the hotel corridor and Mr meek. Sheer class.

Thanks Jan – it’s something I discovered when I was researching at the BL. And I love that film. Can’t make friends watch it because ‘it’s in black & white’!!!

7. Jan says:

It’s better cos of the back and white – like Psycho.

The bloke who is the magician ( sorry I don’t know the actors name ) he crops up in a few British films of late 1940s 1950s but he’s gr8 in this. Its his film really. Scary the,scenes with the kids the birthday party is it when the magician is dressed as a,clown? It is,a very scary film. I’m surprised it hasn’t been remade. But they couldn’t catch it again I don’t think. There’s something about it being an old picture that makes it more believable. Like someone’s memory

8. Julie says:

Naill MacGinnis Jan, an irish actor, he is wonderful in that film.

9. Julie says:

Also vive la revolution! It gave De Sade a brief period of freedom in which to cause even more trouble.

10. LAM says:

Just read Rune for the first time a few weeks ago–so fun and completely compelling. And of course Bryant & May!!!

11. Jan says:

You won’t thank me much for this Mr. F. I really enjoyed Disturbia. Thought it was a great book one of your best and I think if someone were brave enough to take it on would make a smashing tv serial. More original than Bryant and May (New tricks got on tv first with the old Ruds idea ) but in a way the idea of London curiosities is far more popular now than when we first started communicating it is perhaps a subject whose time has come round again.
    But – here comes the kicker – when I read it and re read it I wondered toward the end of the story whether that young journo wasn’t your good self. Was there a good bit of wish fulfillment going on there Mr. Fowler sir? It seemed that way to me… Your friend and lousy psychologist

12. Wayne Mook says:

I still love the Chewitts monster in ‘Night of the Demon.’, Rune is a splendid book, I didn’t get on with Psychoville as much, I remember I really wasn’t in the mood, which really does make a difference when reading, must give it another spin.

I finished Endless Night and And Then There Were None both by Agatha Christie. In Endless Night, I do like the change in words and tense, that give hints on what is to come, thanks for the recommendation Admin, and the other book is far from cosy, the René Clair film is fine version although it’s based on the play so does differ in some ways from the book, and is seen as a fore runner of the slasher films in it’s structure.

Wayne.

13. Julie says:

Just wanted to point out that I didn’t know about the Nice atrocity when I made my De Sade quip. Foot in mouth or what?