O brave new world, That has such people in ’t.

Great Britain

Drunk in publicNothing funny today, I’m too depressed.

As a trio of egotistical monsters kicks out the PM who undid 50 years of European protection and now prepare for power, the appalling realisation of what they’ve done is already starting to sink in. Gove looking after your kids’ education, Farridge kicking out anyone he doesn’t like the look of, Johnson – well, Johnson’s so useless we can just leave him building golden spires for oligarchs on the Green Belt.

I’m working in Barcelona this week, but won’t be spending anything because the pound is suddenly worth less than toilet paper. But hey, don’t holidays at the British coast (above) look fun?

This Eton Mess can be laid at the feet of Jeremy ‘Little Malcolm’ Corbyn utterly failing Labour party voters. (‘Little Malcolm & His Struggle Against The Eunuchs’ was a play by David Halliwell, later a film funded by George Harrison, about a student who wants to start a revolution but utterly lacks the ability to see it through.) Where was his voice when it was needed?

USA, let this be a warning if you don’t act on Trump. You could end up like us. In the toilet with Farridge, Johnson & Gove.

29 comments on “O brave new world, That has such people in ’t.”

1. Jo W says:

And a little man with a big shouty voice shall lead them. Have we woken up in the nineteen thirties? Be afraid,be very afraid. 🙁

2. Deborah A says:

I suspect that if the situation were 48% leave to 52% remain, the leavites would be shouting for an immediate re-run. I remember only too well my childhood holidays in Clacton so I too am very afraid…

3. Vivienne says:

4. Joel says:

Yesterday evening I was one of the last people to come off a Eurostar train from Paris (travelling by trains from the Pyrenees), on facilities only the EU could have created. The headlines in London were that the ‘Remain’ camp as likely to prevail, and I was too tired to read between the lines.

I woke up this morning to be no longer part of the place I had just left, because of the lies, perverted personalities and negativity which preceded this unlovely decision. We’re all part of the same family, except we (the EU) have our arguments and factions in public. The EU does need reform but you don’t get it by kicking the rest of the family up the backside and antagonising all of them.

Cameron didn’t get it, now we haven’t got it, and soon Cameron won’t have it either – he’s not adult enough to go back to Parliament and face his enemies. We have to pay for all the political mistakes, and I for one apologise to the rest of Europe.

5. Steve says:

Just out of interest, because I didnt see it mentioned anywhere which is quite strange.
    About 1m of the remain votes will have been from irish people in the uk, who have the full right to vote in the uk (unlike other eu citizens) Take that out, and you actually have a pretty decisive margin from british people for brexit.
    By the way, the other side of the irish coin is that brexit is a disaster for ireland. Not just because of the peace process, but because ireland is so drpendant on trade with the uk. This vote is a disaster for them.
    Scotland might want to join europe but i can’t see europe wanting scotland, it costs too much and is currently paid for by england.
    The split between London and the rest of the uk is awe-inspiring. And London does pay the bills for the rest of the uk including and even especially scotland. Time for Sadiq to remind the government and the rest of england about that? That’s could be the most interesting next steps. I wonder if he’s got the balls for it though.
    Nobody expected this but it can be the start of a process not the end.

6. Jan says:

I am very surprised but just think on this. You don’t live in London. You are working class working in a job where you are directly competing with cheap labour, workers who have migrated from other countries. You become aware that large British companies with EEC grants are relocating to Eastern Europe. Nothing viable on the horizon in terms of job prospects.

Your sons,and daughters cannot obtain social housing. It takes three or four weeks minimum to get a non urgent doctors,appointment. You are well aware the NHS is creaking there’s no private health care to fall back on.

Now there are far more people in that position than in your position. They aren’t too troubled by turmoil on the financial markets. No savings to worry about. Prices in the supermarkets will rise and hurt but nothing new there. People feel disconnected from government not listened to.
    Ignored basically.
    You give them the chance to make their voice heard.

I am not saying we have made the right or wrong decision. But I do have half an idea how we got here.
    There’s lots more disaffected ordinary people than members of the chattering classes

7. Steve says:

By the way, though the tenor of my posts here was eurosceptic, for me personally this result is a true disaster. On a personal level, i guess i will have to apply for visas for Germany and Bulgaria. And at a business level, I have a cost base of over 100k per month and probably as of today very little income for the next several months. So, I have to keep smiling – somehow…

8. Steve says:

@ Jan: I think you are exactly right. Such a situation required real leadership inside the uk, combined with much more attention to and understanding of continental europe. Our political class failed miserably on both fronts.

9. Jan says:

Steve Your contribution was a very interesting and original expression.
    I hope and believe British Irish trade will thrive. I hope that this result does not become the new mandate for a United Ireland that undermines the peace.

10. Jan says:

All the best Steve hope everything works out for you and your business.

We better knock this on the head it’s like a private conversation!

11. Colin says:

Perfectly put Jan. Most sense I have heard all day

12. Brooke says:

Christopher, be well. You’ve had some emotional blows lately. Take care.

BTW–I fail to see how the conditions of the working class as described by Jan are going to be improved by the exit vote. And if you think the private health insurance market is for the working class–please come to the United States for contrary evidence. But only if: 1) you are young and healthy; and 2) you can spare the $500-1000/month private premiums. Oh, yes, we also pay for education here–so if you think you or your children can rise from working class into professional class, be warned. Access to most colleges is by zip code–only affluent communities need apply.

A few points, Jan. I do live in London. British companies (the very few left) already outsource to China and India. Farage has already withdrawn his £350 million promise to the NHS. The poorest and youngest will be worst affected with the end of EU subsidies. Cornwall and Wales are now f*cked. Fishing industry? Is that it?
    A dead-in-the-water pound will see more foreign investors snapping up properties here, which is what Johnson wants. As usual, the poorest and least educated – who voted for this – will be kicked hardest in the teeth.

14. chandon says:

I completely agree with admin’s comments in that the poorest,and (I would add) the least educated sections of society – many of whom were led to vote for this by the “red top” press on the basis of groundless fears about “immigration”and endless talk of the undefined term “sovereignty” – will be the ultimate losers. We are moving into a new age of right-wing government in this post Brexit nirvana, and we are going to be the losers. Most of their problems can be directly attributed to the UK Government and its recent policies, and are nothing to do with Europe. This is one of the most depressing days of my life. What has happened to this country? If you interpret the polls in purely literal fashion, we have descended to the level of xenophobic racists, who have ignored every rational argument for being in the EU based on trade, culture or economics, or simple decency. What a depressing day.

15. mel says:

I don’t know anyone here in the US who is not deeply frightened of the idea of a Trump presidency. My condolences and I hope that you don’t have to experience US style healthcare.

16. Adam says:

I’m thoroughly depressed by every political party leader, the power of meaningless sound bites over research, fear over hope. Bemused by Cornwall’s demand that EU subsidies be replaced by UK funding when they voted leave. Very angry that a weak Prime Minister gave a huge decision to people who didn’t have a clue what they were voting for. Saddest fact for me is that we are as far from a United Kindom as possible, or ever have been. I’m off for a very long run or a few drinks (or both) and hope that my mood lifts at some point.

17. Jan says:

No Chris I didn’t mean YOU I meant,the disaffected voter who voted us out!!
    I think this has,happened because too many people felt ignored, sidelined by government buffeted by changing economic conditions that have disproportionately affected the poorest in our society.
    We haven’t truly recovered from the fallout from 2008 and,the people,who have,suffered
    most from that have been the poor. Certainly not the people who CAUSED the crash.
    I wasn’t a Brexiteer but government has ignored the working class vote Labour offered no sensible argument,against leaving DISCONTENT, despair call it what you will at a time people feel disconnected with politics suddenly they had a way to voice their discontent.

18. Jan says:

And express it they did

19. Terenzio says:

Talking about selling someone a bill of goods. Boris, Nigel and Davy are laughing their butts off. And I’m sure they will walk away financially secure. No worries about that. If this wasn’t so sad I might actually be laughing.

According to the gov.uk website, the ERDF (European Regional Development Fund) since 2007 10 programmers in England have invested billions creating 118,889 jobs and helping 24,767 businesses to start or move into local areas. I also read that something like 2.4 billion Euros go to UK farmers in the form of subsidies. Plus tarrif free access to the EU for British goods and services. Kiss these benefits goodbye. Half of UK exports go to the EU. Talking about biting the hand that feeds you. And UKs trade with the Commonwealth is less than a quarter of its trade with the EU. So I think Nigel needs to think about how much new trade would have to be generated with the Commonwealth to make up the loss with the EU. I also read not long ago that the 1983 EU ruling or directive on fishing saved the UK fishing industry because of years of over fishing and unstainable practices the population of fish had collapsed. Thanks to this policy the fish population made a comeback. Everything in life is a trade off. There’s always Pros and Cons.

A few weeks ago I also read Cameron was instrumental in blocking a higher tarrif on cheap steel from China proposed by other EU members. I call that throwing the entire UK steel industry under a bus. Now I’m thinking that the EU is probably better of without the UK or I should say England and Wales if Scotland and Northern Ireland leave. I guess Britannia no longer rules the waves. Seriously though it’s sad because despite its flaws the EU is a good thing. The problem was the polices of the U.K. over the past 20 or 30 years (if not longer) have been for the most part total failures. And the economy and society shows this. It’s not fault of the EU that the UK has had poor leadership.

Jan, I drink Twinnings tea. In 2011 they closed a factory in England. Moved it to Poland. And used a European Union grant to partially fund the move. Now at the tine I wasn’t happy about this. I was quite upset actually. I even considered stop buying it. However it wasn’t the fault of the EU. It was the management of the company who did it. Life is a two way street. You win some and you lose some. But I think in the long run to compete against China and the US Europe needs to be one in order to leverage trade agreements. Twinnings also shifted part of the production to China (this would have happened even if the UK wasn’t part of the EU) and supposedly kept a factory in the UK to service the domestic market. This isn’t a simple nor is the problems of the NHS or social housing/affordable housing (or the lack there of) the fault of the EU. I think you can (if you have the money) get private health care in the UK. And as far as waiting a few weeks for non-emergency….what’s the big deal? If you have a life threatening medical emergency you will get treated immediately. I would rather have affordable socialized medicine versus for profit medical care and hospitals.

Well….À bientôt for now….the rather sad looking gentleman in the gorgeous purple dressing down and lovely velvet slippers. I’m off to my favorite café to drown my sorrows with scrumptious pastries.

20. Jan says:

To be fair to Mr Farage that 350 million figure wasn’t from him or UKIP it was from the Boris wing of the outer movement.

I fully grasp that the very folk who have made this ‘out’ happen may end up suffering most because of it. A friend of mine put it very well “the Turkey’s have just voted for Christmas” but democracy has happened. we can’t be saying that this is the fault of the red tops, the lesser educated. Sorry this is a,democracy you might be shocked, surprised by bit, sickened by it well hacked off by it. Times could be well rough for a,long time. But just soldier on hope for the best we will be fine. Course we will.

21. Terenzio says:

I think Labor has been ignoring the working class for a long time. But it seems rather extreme to throw the baby out with the bath water. No matter how desperate you are you shouldn’t make the situation worse….and yes things can always get worse. Why not start another party that actually cares about your problems. I think that’s what the young people in the UK are going to have to do. Kick out people like Boris and Nigel. They’ve done absolutely nothing for the country except earn a damn good leaving at the expense of practically everyone else.

22. Roger says:

“Well, at least if we go down, that bugger Barnes goes down with us.”
    S.F. Barnes was perhaps the best bowler ever in cricket. He was also so insufferable that when the ship the team were on looked like sinking one of his team-mates cheered himself up with that thought.
    Many of the people who voted to leave the EU probably had similar views. The only way they could get the attention of the British elite was by refusing to do what they wanted. Corbyn, as a member of “The worse it is the better as it brings the day of revolution nearer” is just as much of an elitist as Cameron. Ironically, Jo Cook, one of the few politicians who still thought of herself as part of the working class, was the victim of the anti-elitist attitude.

23. Terenzio says:

Cornwall is now asking if they can keep EU funding to tune of something like 60 million pounds. It seems the Leave campaign promised they could keep the funding if they voted to leave. Now maybe it’s me but if you are not part of the EU why would you expect (logically that is) to keep getting the money. I mean, I’m sorry but that’s just plain dumb. The Conservative government has spent the last 6 years slashing funding for just about everything. So where do these people think the money will come from??? If this wasn’t so serious with the tragic consequences of lots of people being hurt I would be on the floor laughing my ass off….some one pinch me…I think I’m in a dream or more likely a nightmare. Maybe I’ve died and gone to hell or something….

24. Steve says:

@Terenzio the money doesnt come from the eu it is simply recycled british money.
    No money comes from the eu to britain whatsoever
    The uk send 360 million pounds a week, less the rebate, a net 275 million pounds a week to the eu
    Of this the uk receives 115 million pound a week back: the money for cornwall, the above-mentioned erdf, etc are all british money recycled and stamped eu.
    The rest of the 275 million, i.e. 160 milliona week, goes to other countries in the eu.
    So what the cornish people are saying is, cut out the middle man, give us the cash directly.
    No one in britain, or germany, ever got any eu money because these countries were always contributors.

25. Terenzio says:

Okay. Thanks for explanation. I found an article on the Guarduan website that further explained how the EU budget is spent and what happens to the money a member state like the UK contributes. I did notice the EU does inject money directly into the UK through programs like Horizon2020….from 2013 1.4 billion pounds. Also the money saved from EU membership probably couldn’t be used to prop up the NHS without short changing farmers, scientific research and poorer regions like Cornwall.

26. Terenzio says:

The article from June 10th puts the figure at 136 million per week. I guess this money could be used for other things but at the same time it pays for a seat at the negotiating table. Switzerland which isn’t part of the EU still has to abide by the rules and regulations of the single market if they want to sell their goods or services to the EU. The only difference is they have no say in EU policies or any leverage. They have to go along with what the EU wants. I think the UK will be in the same boat. I doubt the EU will allow the UK to have its cake and eat it too….

27. Brian Evans says:

Such a depressing day.
    I quote from the “I” Newspaper, which quotes from “Spiked”:
    “The left is dead. It has thrown its lot in with the very people it was founded to challenge; kings and tyrants and other benign guardians of the stupid people”
    Except this lot are not benign….

28. Vivienne says:

Does anyone else think that Boris didn’t want to win, but to graciously accept a good cabinet place for bringing home the Leavers, and then make PM? When you think of that Bullingdon photo, they all thought themselves so clever and destined for the top, but Cameron has blown his Statesman role, Osborne will go with him and Boris may have to do some really hard humble pie negotiations to exit and still have a divided country.

29. Bee says:

One of the most maddening aspects of the whole campaign has been the blatant political opportunism of Johnson and Gove. Boris did not believe a single word of anything he said about the EU and he appears to be as shocked and dismayed by the Leave majority as any of us. He expected us to Remain and he just wanted to step into the PM’s job when Dave retired. Now he is looking at the dreadful task of being the PM of a seriously screwed up country with a flat lining economy. He is thinking ‘My God, what have I done?’ – and well he might. I hope he does become PM and I hope it makes him sick with misery.
    And btw I loved the tweet about Spencer Perceval – inspiring!

Posted In