Back Into Print: 20 Titles From My Past

Reading & Writing

51keEvXdBhL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_

On May 12th, the first of my redesigned and reformatted novels make an appearance on as e-books for the low price of £2.99. ‘Roofworld’ and ‘Spanky’ were both big hits for me, but have been out of print for years. There will be twenty volumes in all, including novels and short story collections, featuring new essays by myself and Joanne Harris, and one, ‘Frightening’, will be a brand-new short story collection never before published (I’d like to have seen it in physical print, but collections are casualties of the e-book revolution, I’m afraid).

515VXn04T0L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_

Some of the early books will possibly read as period pieces now – it would have been impossible to write ‘Roofworld’, with its tribes of disaffected youths living on London’s rooftops, in the present world of instant communication, although I did once think about updating it. And in one of the collections also going to e-book you’ll find a story entitled ‘Spanky’s Back In Town’.

But there’ll be lots of impossible-to-find titles reappearing in the coming months, all with revisions and new afterwords, and at the same low price. If there proves to be a good demand for a particular title we may get it back into print for collectors, so be vocal and let me know what you’d like to see in physical print, and maybe I can arrange it.

9 comments on “Back Into Print: 20 Titles From My Past”

1. Richard says:

Are they coming to Canada? (fingers crossed)

2. Wayne says:

I have a rather nice copy of Spanky with a translucent dust jacket and lovely signature of a chap called Christopher Fowler inside. Its the book that got me reading. I never much cared for books until I found Spanky. Thank you Chris for getting this man Reading, its one of life’s greatest pleasures. Sorry to have missed you while you were in Scarborough, good to hear you had a nice time. I hope your event was well attended.

I think Canada gets them, Wayne – they should do under the English language rights agreement – I’ll check for you.

4. Wayne Mook says:

It doesn’t seem 5 minutes since I read Roofworld, all those years have just flown by, it’s the short story collections I’m looking forward to. I’m currently reading Charles Birkin’s Devil’s Spawn from the 30’s, there is something about Birkin’s tales that always unsettles, even though they can read very matter of fact.

Wayne.

5. Adam says:

Great news – I remember borrowing Roofworld from my local library back in the 80’s, but Soho Black is the book that really hooked me. Frightening will be downloaded on the 12th!

6. Davem says:

Chris, what would it cost to get ‘Frightening’ in paperback? Worth some kind if crowd-surf funding venture?

I will download it but as I have all of your boos in either hardback or paperback, it would be preferable to continue.m

7. Davem says:

‘books’ not ‘boos’ 🙂

8. Chris Lancaster says:

Looking forward to them. I own all of them in hard copy form, but will no doubt buy them anyway so that I can play “spot the revisions”. The artwork for the covers looks great, I have to say.

Interestingly, Amazon UK only seem to be listing 17 titles, not 20; one of the missing ones is Frightening. Dammit!

9. Mary says:

I just finished reading Paperboy (with a two-month gap spent in rehab recovering from a broken leg, but that’s not for this conversation…) and now understand how and why you can compose as much as you do in so short a time as you appear to do it in. I despair of ever reading ALL your stories–just keeping up with Bryant and May in the U.S. is strenuous enough–but I’m glad that you found the writing and it found you.

By the way, My father was stationed at the American Air Force Base at Ruislup in the early 1950s. We lived in a house in Eastcote. I was right across town from you.