Strange Tide Goes Out

Bryant and May

CgWB8WvWcAABjwh

So, last night we had the launch of ‘Strange Tide’ which my editor Simon Taylor thinks is the 13th book and I thought was the fifteenth. It turns out we were both wrong because it’s the fourteenth. I was counting ‘The Casebook of Bryant & May’, the lovely graphic novel by Keith Page, but apparently my own readers tell me that’s not allowed to be part of the canonical set!

The bash took place on Cromer Street in a cool bar restaurant called Casa Tua next door to a Dickensian pub called ‘The Boot’, which features in the closing chapter of the book for a very special reason. It’s also right around the corner from where Arthur Bryant lives, in a corner of Bloomsbury that is my favourite part but which is often overlooked. There’s an immense Catholic church and the slightly strange Mecklenburg Square, and a couple of extraordinarily Dickensian cut-throughs and alleyways. One day I’ll have to conduct a Bryant & May London Mysteries Tour around the area!

I wore a suit last night, which everyone seemed to think was particularly hilarious, and was able to catch up with some terrific writers including Rob Shearman, Lloyd Shepherd, Cathi Unsworth and Laura Wilson. The real Maggie Armitage was there, and as we were on Mr Bryant’s street it really did feel like a site-specific launch.

With the fourteenth *checks number of books again* volume out, plus a graphic novel, is a TV series any nearer? There’s the faintest possibility, as there’s now a very good script being read by networks, so we have to wait and see. meanwhile, for those who didn’t hear it, here’s Des Burkinshaw’s rather lovely theme music for a TV series that doesn’t yet exist…

12 comments on “Strange Tide Goes Out”

1. Stephen says:

Hi Chris, I hope this Novel does even better for you.

2. AC says:

“Strange Tide” was wonderful and I hope Bryant and May live forever. Now if we could just have a clever, well done series to go with that perfect theme music I would be so happy. Just don’t let Hollywood get their hands on them- there are too many “edgy” shows already and I’m afraid they would be made over into hipster millennials to appeal to the youth demographic.

3. John says:

If you count the short story collection LONDON’S GLORY and THE CASEBOOK… graphic novel it *is* 15. But for me it’s #18 because I count RUNE, DARKEST DAY and SOHO BLACK as part of the Bryant and May series. :^D

4. AC says:

That’s right! Rune did have Bryant and May. Now I have to find Darkest Day and Soho Black.

Not going to get into the what is/isn’t true canon argument. That is a wonderful piece of theme, all sorts of periods, styles and so on with a hummable melody – even though melodies are out of style I think. Bryant would laugh.

6. snowy says:

Well it might be 18½; if you wish to include ‘Disturbia’. No John, but Arthur is there and for much longer than would be considered a ‘cameo’.

7. Jan says:

Be aware that fabulous BlackBerry bushes grow in Mecklenburg square (is that the right spelling?) The best are,on the foot path to the north
    of the square
    . I used to pick them at about 4am when it was,quiet. There’s some,great flats there lots,of post graduate accommodation for University of London, again t he best places near that footpath.
    Did I once send you a puzzle concerning the marks left in that building that might be still a health club down at the Holborn end of the square?

8. Peter Arcane says:

Damn that’s my book stack reordered – again!!

When I finish De Muriel’s Strings of Murder, Strange Tide is next.

Blackberry bushes in Mecklenburg Square? I must remember that in case I’m ever back there in blackberry season so I can compare yours to ours. They’re probably the same variety (himalaya) so it would be comparing apples to apples. They take over everywhere they’re allowed to root (including my yard, where little Annabelle down the street is warned by her mother to ride her tricycle out of the reach of the thorns.)

10. Mimi Paller says:

Ceanothus in Soggy London? Really?

Okay, you mentioned them in Water Room and I restrained myself, but not they are mentioned in Strange Tide too! They are native to the slopes of really dry hills in California and I have always heard that they die in a few years if they get too much water. But it they are thriving in London, that’s obviously not true. What’s the real scoop?

Yes, amazing as it may seem in ‘soggy London’, Ceanothus are very popular here. I have about twenty blooms on my terrace, many of which last all year around, even surviving snow. I’d take a picture for you right now but I’m out of the country!

12. John Griffin says: