The Ghost Train Stops In London

The Arts

Ghost Train

I’ve never been able to read scripts. I seem to be script-blind. I’ve read thousands in my career, and hardly any of them have ever made a jot of sense. So when I got involved in a horror play and found the old problem recurring, I didn’t worry so much. Critic and writer Kim Newman is the driving force behind this project, and has the lion’s share of the play with his ode to Frankenstein, but there are a few other warm-up stories first, and the opening one is mine. The show moves into the Tristram Bates Theatre in London’s glittering West End, and stars living legend Jenny Runacre.

Train Rehearsal Feb16 - 01

Here’s what the PR team says about the show…

Remember those horror portmanteau movies of the past, such as Tales from the Crypt, From Beyond The Grave and Doctor Terror’s House of Horrors? They’re back and now on stage!

Five passengers meet on a train and agree to tell each other monstrous stories of possession, hauntings, devilry and science gone wrong. Each tale is inspired by a classic monster – vampire, ghost, Frankenstein, the Devil, mummy, ventriloquist’s doll. Each actor plays multiple roles within the tales, and as is traditional in the form, the framing story builds to a suitably macabre climax.

The Ghost Train Doesn’t Stop Here Any More is a follow-up to The Hallowe’en Sessions, which played at the Leicester Square Theatre Lounge in October 2012, selling out its run and garnering great reviews. Now we’ve gathered a fresh group of genre writers to craft a deliciously dark all-new tribute to the portmanteau movies, madder, badder and scarier than ever.

Given the continued popularity of horror theatre such as Ghost Stories and The Woman in Black, we’re confident that there’s an eager audience for productions such as this. After positive response to our last show we expect a healthy return attendance, and this time around we’re targeting a wider crowd with a longer run and heavier PR. We’re looking forward to scaring the wits out of our audiences all over again…

7 comments on “The Ghost Train Stops In London”

1. Diane Englot says:

Oh man…can they do this again in December when I’m in London?! Hate that I’ll be missing this.

2. Vivienne says:

I’m scanning my diary for a day to have my wits scared ou of me. Please don’t sell out yet.

Good luck with this. (I’m assuming you can wish an author good luck as they aren’t assumed to know anything about theatre.) I’ve reduced the poster image to N scale size (ask your modelling friends) and am enlarging it as much as I can. There’s an address on the image so I will write there for the possibility of the real thing.

4. snowy says:

There is a bigger version [1130×1600] on the Bad Bat Productions website if that helps.

[Unless you are furnishing the waiting room of a model railway of course.]

[Link you know where.]

Thanks, Snowy. It prints out at the same size and I can’t isolate the image, but we’ll see what I can do at the nearest office supply store. The smallest I did (30% of original) is the right size for a roadside billboard – nearest thing to a waiting room display I could get.

6. snowy says:

You are getting caught by the on-the-fly client side resizing in the browser. [I won’t explian what that is, because it’s dull.]

Click my on name and do a ‘Save Image’.from that page

[You can check the image size by going to the downloaded file on your machine, right click Properties, select Details tab and look for a line called Dimensions. It should say 1130x1600px rather than the 455x640px you got last time.]

Thank you again, Snowy. I’ll try that. Another day when I feel like a thumbsucking Neanderthal.