Burning & Glorious Today!

Bryant and May

the burning man

So, what happened was this.

Wrote a Bryant & May novel called ‘Full Dark House’.

Had it rejected by Little, Brown (Little, Brown bought z-celeb biography for a mint instead, lost shirt)

Took book to Transworld.

They liked it, commissioned two.

Those broke even, so they commissioned another.

(Repeat another eight times)

Published ‘The Burning Man’, got nice reviews.

Publisher asked for more and could they have a Christmas book please.

Said I could write up some missing Bryant & May cases, schedule was a bit tight.

Publisher said ‘Oh, we assumed you’d already written them.’

I laughed coquettishly, said Actually No.

Found that cases were in my head anyway so wrote book.

Finished stories.

Added essay on crime writing, character studies, synopses of novels, contents of Arthur’s bookcase, Keith Page’s drawing of unit, said, ‘Finished, please may I leave the room?’

Book started selling out before publication date (without me selling out, if you know what I mean).

‘London’s Glory’ appears in hardback coupled with paperback of ‘The Burning Man’ on November 5th (geddit?)

Hopefully everyone happy until March 2016 when new novel ‘Strange Tide’ appears.

Ding dong merrily on high etc.

LondonsGloryCover

19 comments on “Burning & Glorious Today!”

1. Jo W says:

Hoping to get my copy tomorrow,Chris. 😉

2. Jo W says:

Hey,Chris! Will I really have to wait until 2017? I thought Strange Tide would be out 2016? Or have I dreamt that?

My bad, Jo – I meant 2016 (see above). 2017’s will be called ‘Wild Chamber’ (you heard it here first!)

4. JackieHayles says:

Thank goodness for Kindle – what a wonderful surprise, I had forgotten! A dull working day is brightened up and thank you, as always.

5. Wayne says:

Yippee! More to look forward to ‘Wild Chamber’ that sound interesting already. My delivery of the “Christmas” book is estimated as the 12th can’t wait, at least it gives me time to finish that Sand Men thing I am reading at the moment.

I really love this post its such a nicely written post… How many More B&M’s do you think you have in you?

Well done you Mr Fowler, and thank you for having such a vivid imagination.

6. Jeanette says:

Excited as a child will be for Chrstmas Day to come as it is on my Christmas wish list, please Santa I have been very good!!

Am sure I will be able to snatch one quick story whilst in my pj’s Christmas morning, before preparing Christmas dinner and sharing the day with 5 grandchildren under 3. Will I be able to read some more at bedtime? Hmmmmm, think I may be found in chair with opened book snoring.

7. Kathy Keenan says:

Waiting for mine to arrive from Amazon.com UK! So excited!

8. Ford says:

I went to my local Waterstones to buy London’s Glory. They had Burning Man in paperback, but not LG. A very helpful young lady behind the counter investigated for me. No, they didn’t have LG; the nearest copies were in Salisbury and Southampton (Not much help to me in Bournemouth at 4 o’clock in the afternoon!) She wasn’t able to order any in, as there was a problem with supplies from the publisher! I did try Smiths!!!!!!!!! No! Don’t laugh!

9. Lee Carson says:

My copy of London’s Glory arrived this morning so that’s this weekend’s reading sorted

10. Jeanette says:

Has London’s Glory sold out already?

11. John Griffin says:

Got mine yesterday and spent too many hours reading half of it with some nice rum, to bed late and up too early but no hangover at work. More to read before bed tonight. Very good indeed!

12. linda ayres says:

Went to Waterstones Poole and no joy on LG,I too,although aware of the folly,went to Smiths.Ruined my evening so am starting self help group.
    Hello my name is Linda and I am a Bryant and May addict.

13. Jo W says:

Yeah! Got my signed copy at Forbidden Planet today,but it was the last one on the shelf! Also got a signed Sand Men. It was marked one pound off! How soon will it be remaindered? 😉

14. Chris Lancaster says:

Almost finished the book, and greatly enjoying the stories so far.

Out of interest, is there any reason why the list of B&M novels at the start of the book (on the page where the publisher lists all the writer’s books) doesn’t include The Burning Man? I assume this is an oversight on their part!

15. Wayne says:

Mine has now arrived, in perfect condition. Like the new artwork, seems almost 3D. And that soft touch cover…….Hope to make a start on it soon. I have two other books on the go at the moment.

16. Ford says:

Now that we have a list of the contents of Arthur’s bookshelves, how about a list of the contents of his overcoat pockets? 🙂

17. Donna says:

Dear Mr Fowler

I write as a B & M fan, having read the entire series. I preordered London’s Glory, which duly arrived on my Kindle, and last night I read the first story. But I am perplexed by the appearance of the No. 53 bus in front of Selfridges (I don’t wish to spoil the story for others, so won’t say any more than that). The story seems to be set in the present day(Pret a Mange and the Savile investigations, for example, are included as chronological markers), but the 53 now starts its run on Whitehall. Nor did the 53, to my knowledge, pass before Selfridges in the days when it went all the way to Camden (which I am old enough to recall). I have never known you to put a foot wrong when it comes to historical detail, so this re-routing of the 53 is, to me, a mystery in itself.

I had it in my mind that the 53 went down Oxford Street as I used to catch it, but I checked and you’re right. Mind you, the cover’s wrong because the Regent Street decorations of chandeliers were used in 1951 while B&M are in the present – so Mr Bryant’s memory must be slipping. After all, these are his memoirs!

19. Stephen says:

Once again Chris,a enjoyable collection of short stories.Hopefully,there will be another one.