When Voters Get Extreme

Observatory

sarah-palin-stupid

When this website began back in 1953, one of my very first posts made fun of Sarah Palin. Oh how we laughed. Now, many years later, it’s time to wipe the smirk from our faces. But it’s an international disease; around the world, voters are choosing some very strange candidates.

In the UK, the rise of hardliner Jeremy Corbyn is disturbing to anyone who vividly remembers the 1970s and the disasters wrought by the hard left. Corbyn has been misquoted on a number of issues, or certainly quoted out of context, but he’s also not what the left needs right now, and has the potential to turn the UK into a one-party system for the next decade or so with his backward-thinking rhetoric.

imgres

Mercifully Nigel Farage has shut up in the wake of widespread public sympathy for the Syrian refugees – until the next time he finds a way of whipping up anger about immigration. The good thing is that the refugee crisis has improved public knowledge about the real facts and figures behind European migrants, which undermines Farage’s knee-jerk arguments.

Meanwhile, across the pond, things are going a bit Pete Tong too, as – of all the people not to choose – mad-haired ignorant lunatic property developer Donald Trump conducts a love-in with the fabulously stupid Sarah Palin.

‘We have a large and wonderful Hispanic population that is helping to build America,” Palin said on CNN. ‘On the other hand, you know, I think we can send a message and say: ‘You want to be in America? A, you better be here legally, or you’re out of here. B, when you’re here, let’s speak American.’ She then corrected the last word to ‘English’ upon realising that American isn’t a language.

Her ‘On the other hand’ comment is reminiscent of Louis CK’s joke about nut allergies. ‘It’s terrible that we have to guard children’s lives by keeping nuts away from them. On the other hand, maybe they deserve to die.’ Palin also told CNN she took Spanish and French in high school, adding, ‘I shouldn’t have taken them both, because I got them all mixed up.’

b3fe0631d5bb07a94dfe2ebea5554e6cWhat’s worrying about strategic voting is that it ultimately doesn’t reflect well on anyone. A public sympathy vote went out to doomed Ed Miliband not for a reversal of opinion on some of his badly thought through policies, but because he grew a beard and looked less uncomfortable. Was this how France ended up with Sarkozy and Italy got landed with Berlusconi? People thought – ooh, pretty girlfriend, nice house?

I guess that thinking will stop Farage and Corbyn in their tracks, but who in their right mind would consider Trump a good candidate? This is a man who tried to explain the difference between a big wall and a big fence to Jeb Bush in his immigration ‘policy’. Meanwhile in Israel, Netanyahu is refusing to take any refugees and is also proposing to build a nice 18-mile fence. Or possibly a wall.

Well, just when David Cameron made politics predictable and boring, it’s good to have extremes acting as a counterbalance – that’s what democracy is all about. Let’s just not choose people because it’s an easy way of expressing one’s disappointment.

Meanwhile a petition has been set up to swap Katie Hopkins for 50,000 refugees, although the general opinion is that we can get more for her if we really push. It shows that human beings can be sensible when they try.

15 comments on “When Voters Get Extreme”

1. Jo W says:

Morning Chris. How time flies! Did this website start in 1953 or was that you?

2. DC says:

Could we not also offer Nigel as part of a BOGOF deal? Heck! January Sales seem to start earlier each year, so we could start our surplus stock clearance now?

3. Ness says:

Just take Tony Abbott. No conditions attached.

4. chris hughes says:

In this technological era can we not resurrect Screaming Lord Sutch?

We’re in the middle of an election, too. Remember Pierre Trudeau (Liberal head and PM off and on for a long time) twirling behind the queen’s back at a Commonwealth dinner? Would you vote for his son just because he’s the son?
    Harper (Conservative head and PM for ten years) seems to feel sending military assistance over the long term is more important than rescuing refugees now. Sponsor a refugee? You have to pony up the money to support them for a year (some of the requirements are sensible though)
    Elizabeth May (Green party head and the only sitting MP) has some good ideas but doesn’t have enough experience or backing yet.
    Thomas Mulcair (NDP a sort of socialist party) has a lot of support and may even have a chance, although not as good a chance as Jack Layton would have had had he survived.
    All interesting but none of them running in my riding. There was a change in riding boundaries (can you say gerrymander?) and we lost our well respected member, although local workers are sure the new one is just as good.
    Voting is complicated.

6. Wayne Mook says:

I think I will stay away from politics,

I tried before but the page crashed,

Wayne.

7. Adam says:

Steady on there, Chris!..confession time….Katie Hopkins is my sister-in-law. Whilst I don’t really listen or watch anything she does in her public persona, all I can say is that is in real life she’s warm, funny, witty and great company. I’ve no idea why she’s chosen the public path she has (she’s the polar opposite of my wife, who hates all the z-list sniping and refuses to discuss her sister in any shape or form). Still, it makes for interesting Christmases and other family get-togethers….

8. Peter Dixon says:

I enjoyed Rich Hall’s comment when the ToryLiberals got in:

“What happened to Britain while I was away? When I left Gordon Brown was in charge, now I’ve flown back the country’s being run by two gay antique dealer’s”

Unfortunately, I think we get the politicians someone else deserves.

9. Vivienne says:

Well, brought up on the Daily Worker and Soviet Weekly, it’s hard to turn New Labour. Miliband couldn’t bring himself to say what Labour stood for and I think people would rather have Corbyn as Samson bringing the House crashing down than more of this politics-speak.

10. steve2 says:

I’m reading “The Establishment and how they get away with it” by Owen Jones. Its an eye opening read and for me clearly demonstrates why we need to find a proper left of centre leader to offer a choice for the future of the Uk. Sadly Corbyn doesn’t look like that person..

11. Cid says:

I can’t believe I’ve just met Katie Hopkins’ brother-in-law.

Shut up, it does too count.

Interesting thread here, including a left field entry from Adam – hey Adam, it’s always good to have one really opinionated rellie at a gathering!

I was not aware of Katie Hopkins, but I am now. Not sure if that is a good thing. Good luck, Adam – and Mrs. Adam.

14. Alan Morgan says:

We began this website back in 1953. Then we knocked off at half eight for a pint. Job’s a good ‘un.

15. jan says:

Isn’t this history repeating itself – Corbyn is the Michael Foot of the early 21 C? Defeat does odd things to the Labour party it goes into opposition mode by default i think and seems to elect as its leader someone who will only ever work in opposition and stands little or no chance of being elected. Mr Ed M might have been an odd choice BUT this guy has spent an entire career in opposition mode didn’t like New Labour, didn’t want a place in government. Probably a gr8 lad in reality when Labour and Tory MPs talk about him they stress his generosity fairness but nice fellas don’t get elected …….