The Bond Track Nobody Heard

Audio

images.duckduckgo

While we’re talking about quirky soundtracks (oh, sorry, weren’t we?) the late sixties produced a lot of soundtracks with sung title themes, many of them extremely memorable and catchy earworms. First, here’s an audio Q&A of a song featuring Peter Sellars and The Hollies (does anyone remember them?) from the comedy caper ‘After The Fox’, written by Burt Bacharach. The clue to the composer is in the quirky key change. The film was trying to capitalise on the dubious appeal of ‘What’s New Pussycat’, another comedy with a score better than its script.

John Barry, who would eventually fall out with Bond filmmakers for no longer allowing him to write 007 theme music that could be extemporised in the score, wrote his famous Nancy Sinatra-sung ‘You Only Live Twice’ – but it was in fact his second try at the title track. The first was sung by Julie Rogers, and sounded like this.

FYI The older Bond soundtrack recordings were always incomplete, but then bootleg editions were issued, which eventually forced the studio’s hand, and they’ve been quietly slipping ever more extended scores online. To compare, check the original ‘You Only Live Twice’ with its bootleg, referred to as the ‘extended score’, and then the new even longer official version which appeared in 2012.

images.duckduckgo

PS This was the less-used poster – probably on account of where that young lady’s hand is going! I still have the original quad poster of the exploding volcano on my wall.

6 comments on “The Bond Track Nobody Heard”

1. Adam says:

Might account for the rather surprised look on Bond’s face….

2. Michael hart says:

Cool theme tune by Burt, I also love Johnny Dankworth’s theme tune to Modesty Blaise and I also have the original poster which is equally cool 🙂

3. chris hughes says:

Yes! of course I remember The Hollies – and to my surprise I remember the naff After The Fox, although I don’t think I wasted any real money going to see the film. John Barry must have been having an off day for the first attempt at You Only Live Twice – makes you feel there was a list of words rhyming with twice….dice, nice, rice, mixed spice – not an easy trick to pull off. So much easier when you headed off into words rhyming with seems:)

4. Peter Dixon says:

I always thought that ‘You Only Live Twice’ was the most exotic soundtrack ever – the music playing over the shot of the fight on the deck of the cargo ship shot from a helicopter is still as good now as in the day I saw it in the local flea-pit in Jarrow, double billed with “Diamonds Are Forever’. Screen magic for a 13 year old getting in with his pals’ mother’s usherette staff pass.

For an absolutely brilliant modern version of ‘You Only Live Twice’ check out a singer called Natacha Atlas.

5. Wayne Mook says:

Oddly enough I heard After the Fox on the radio the other day, Gideon Coe’s show on BBC 6 music, I think.

I remember The Hollies, Graham Nash became part of Crosby, Stills & Nash (and sometimes Young.) they had a load of hits, He Ain’t Heavy crops up all the time, including in ads and so on. Stop, Stop, Stop was used in something not so long ago, can’t think what. That will bug me.

The Bond records do seem to be expanding, not a bad thing

Wayne.

6. Helena Nash says:

Gosh, I hadn’t thought of After The Fox in years. Thanks for posting that up.

What an oddball theme. I seem to recall Peter Seller’s character giving Victor Mature’s ageing actor increasingly bizarre directions in the film:

“What are we doing now?”

“Erm, you’re running.”

“From what?”

“… Yourselves.”

Or something to that effect.

When Rich Morton and I were writing bogus movie plots for The Sequel That Never Was, we cast Peter Sellers as the lead in a live-action Mr Benn romp.