Bryant & May Move Into Twisted Territory

Reading & Writing

B&M Audio

I’ve now delivered two new Bryant & May books; the first is for the Christmas season, and is entitled ‘Bryant & May: London’s Glory’. It will be out on November the 5th, and will be a collection of eleven missing cases, along with various oddities, background history, an essay on Golden Age detectives and the origins of the duo. On the same date, the paperback version of ‘Bryant & May and the Burning Man’ will appear.

Then for 2016 there’s a new full-length novel entitled; ‘Bryant & May: Strange Tide’. I think I’m right in saying it’s the biggest book yet. I’ve delivered it, and am now working on a non-Bryant & May thriller. ‘Strange Tide’ takes the duo into some new territory and has opened up a fresh area for me to explore in the books. Likely almost all of the others, it can be read as a stand-alone but rewards regular readers with a few surprises.

It’s interesting to be writing character arcs which readers think have nowhere else to go, only to prove them wrong and find new places to take them. But that’s what we do – write ourselves into boxes and then prove there are ways out.

It did cross my mind that I should take them abroad, if only so that I could get a stab at foreign language sales, but ultimately I didn’t. The Bryant & May books are the only novels I write that never get foreign translation; I thought their Englishness might appeal, but so far there are no non-English editions (whereas ‘Hell Train’, say, is published in a very nice German edition).

I’ve always written for pleasure, though, and don’t chase the market. If anything, I’m heading off into deeper English territory. As I’m ahead of schedule I’m now going to take a break from writing B&M novels, just for a few months while I write a thriller, ‘The Gone Girl On The Train With The Tattoo’. It’s going to be big.

10 comments on “Bryant & May Move Into Twisted Territory”

1. Jo W says:

Oh,Chris,you’re spoiling us! ( N.B. To self- must tell ‘im indoors-will be needing more shelves!)

2. slabman says:

‘The Gone Girl On The Train With The Tattoo’. Isn’t that the one where a woman with amnesia wakes on the train every morning, notices instructions etched on her arm to get off at Guildford, does so, and then wonders why she bothered?

3. Margaret E says:

Thanks for the heads up. London’s Glory written down in my diary to look for in November……and Strange TIde is on my wish list for 2016. I have to limit myself to just a few chapters of your books a day otherwise I would gobble them down in one sitting. Deliciousnesseseseseses…!

4. Alan Morgan says:

The PCU go en masse to the Costa-del-Sol on a package holiday? High jinks ensue!

Oh, my! I do want to reserve the one about the tattooed train.
    Given that the US edition is an adaptation perhaps you should consider that a translation of a sort. Looking forward to the upcoming books as well as Sandmen. I have run out of shelf space including space for shelves.

6. Steve Milligan says:

Excellent. I have just finished The Burning Man and loved it (as usual) and reading it it felt like the end of the road for the not so dynamic duo. Although I knew there were plans to visit older cases etc it still felt like the end of an era.

I was lucky enough to discover your writing by chance with Roofworld and The Bureau Of Lost Souls – I was looking for a John Fowles book at the time and you were next to him on the bookshelf and since then I have read pretty much everything that you have published. I love the way the characters have aged through the novels and the history lesson about London is an added bonus every time. It adds a great sense of atmosphere which very few authors offer on a consistent basis (Barry Eisler’s John Rain series spring to mind with his love of Tokyo)

To jump on the popular bandwagon and cash in on E.L.James should the Girl On The Train With The Tattoo get a Spankying At The End Of The Line?

7. Jenny Spencer says:

In all the years I have spent reading murder mystery novels your Bryant and May books are my favorite. You are a modern day Charles Dickens with London as one of the main ‘characters’ in your books. Out of all those wonderful quirky characters that step out of your books Arthur Bryant is my favorite, so please don’t kill him off. Make him well. I haven’t read ‘The Burning Man’ yet but have an uneasy feeling the future doesn’t look too bright for Mr Bryant.He needs to be around to solve many more crimes yet.After all Conan Doyle had to bring Sherlock Holmes back due to his character’s popularity with readers. I congratulate you on a wonderful series that I can only hope you can keep writing for years to come.

8. Alan Morgan says:

Very much looking forward to it, though I suspect it won’t be until Christmas and colourfully wrapped. Chasing away small people with a spoon as I spend four hours making the dinner. Not reading, at all.

9. Mark Pack says:

Thank goodness you’re still writing new Bryant & May novels at the rate at which I’m reading them – long may that continue!

10. Isobel Brunt says:

I found my first Bryant & May book at my local library and was instantly hooked. I now have each one mostly on audio and I listen to them over and over again. I love to hear about the places and things that Arthur is interested in. So glad to know that there are more books to come. Already added them to my wish list. Thank you for your wonderful creations.