What Bryant & May Did Next

Bryant and May

B&M ghosthunting

Cats, eh? They just won’t stay in bags. After my day-long online Q&A over at GoodReads the other day, I think I let slip a little more than I intended about the future of Bryant & May. The main question I kept being hit with was; ‘What are you going to do now that you’ve brought an apparent end to the series?’

As I’ve mentioned, it’s not over. This Christmas will see a book of the decrepit duo’s greatest cases called ‘Bryant & May: London’s Glory’, featuring ten of their unseen cases, the contents of Arthur Bryant’s bookshelves and other oddities. There’s already a spiffing cover, but as it hasn’t been finalised I can’t run it here just yet. However, readers in the US won’t be getting this book (at least for now) as collections of tales don’t seem terribly popular over there and it wasn’t picked up. They have open minds, though, and if enough of you want it, they’ll listen.

Instead, America will be moving straight on to another novel, which will be called ‘Bryant & May: Strange Tide’. The plot will centre on London’s most ancient artery, the Thames, and it will test the team’s powers of deduction in strange new ways. ‘Strange Tide’ will be the 13th full-length novel in the series, and should come out on both sides of the Atlantic at the same time.

Each year I write a non-Bryant & May book too; this year’s will be ‘The Sand Men’ and next will be the as-yet untitled thriller I’ve been secretly working on for nearly three years now. Later this year there will be twenty e-books representing the best of my back-catalogue, appearing at intervals yet to be decided.

I’m only tell you this so that you don’t think I’ve been sitting here staring out of the window eating chocolate biscuits and not doing any work, you understand.

19 comments on “What Bryant & May Did Next”

1. m says:

Fantastic news! Will London’s Glory be in paper books form?

2. Jo W says:

Great news,Chris. Something else to look forward to. By the way,I expect you’re still busy scrubbing the blood off the floor to have time to gaze out at the swans and family. They were beautiful photos on fb.

London’s Glory will be a proper paper book, yes!

4. Wayne says:

Now you have really upset the shelving arrangements at home… not that I didn’t want more B&M, Its just that with the series seeming to finish I, quite foolishly, rearranged the shelving. I will now have to re-think this, how many more B&M volumes do I need space for? 20, 30 maybe more….

Really nice to hear that they will be returning I already have the London Glory on order. I look forward to The Sand Men too. Now you really do deserve a Chocolate Biscuit….

5. Debra Matheney says:

This is fantastic news! I am so happy that more fun is on the way. Too sad to think all the high jinks were over.

6. Mike Cane says:

Roofworld coming in e? As it originally was published, no “updating” or whatever?

7. Julz says:

I live in the U.S. And have discovered a little Amazon secret… I can use my US login to login to the UK Amazon site and have thusly preordered my very own copy of London’s Glory. I am quite excited about this and the dangerous shopping world this has opened up for me. PS Congrats on Crimefest15 Awards. PPS while await the arrival of your next book I believe I will attempt to jump into your other world of writing. Wish me Luck!

8. Wayne says:

Well played Julz, I have been doing the same thing from the other direction for years. If you don’t mind the international shipping fees its great…Hope you enjoy your new book when it arrives.

9. Alan Morgan says:

Exciting stuff indeed!

And which cover will Sandmen have? That was an interesting exercise. We never think you’re sitting eating chocolate biscuits – the steady stream of writing is proof positive of that. However, how are you going to write while using masses of research material and haggling with lamp sellers?

Please allow for the mental elision in the previous. The steady stream of writing cannot prove what we are thinking but you know what I meant, I’m sure.

12. Jenny Spencer says:

Please don’t stop writing Bryant and May novels. They are magical. I’m on my 4th at the moment and don’t want to stop. Hoping for at least twenty, please.

13. mike pitcher says:

cut up Bryant and may matchboxes to use as bookmarks, sad I know but apt . books get better and better roll on a tv series sooner the better

14. Mary Shen Barnidge says:

If London Glory isn’t sold in the US, I’ll have to get my friend Duncan Crawford at the London National Museum to buy one for me and reward him with American Oreos. If you or your agents can persuade Barnes & Noble to stock the book, I promise to send YOU the best chocolate biscuits in the world.

15. Neill Waugh says:

I am so pleased that The Burning Man is not the last book! I enjoy both the written and audio versions of them Tim Goodman brings the characters to life so well.

16. Karen O says:

I just posted a review of The Burning Man on Audible after finishing it just this morning. I was sobbing at the end, thinking that my best loved duo was done. Thank you for not bringing THE best books in this genre to an end. These are brilliant mysteries; the world would be a darker place without their literary light.

17. Jerry Boyajian says:

I must say that this is good news. I just finished reading The Burning Man, and the last chapter read like an elegy, so I was surprised to see “Bryant & May will return” on the very next page. I wondered if you were going to go back in time and pick up on some old, as-yet-untold cases. Anyway, off to Amazon UK to pre-order a copy of London’s Glory…

18. Jerry Boyajian says:

Two interesting things I noted in looking to pre-order London’s Glory. First, I was under the impression that it was going to be a paperback, but Amazon UK lists it as a hardcover. Not that this is a problem, as I actually prefer hardcovers (among other things, they tend to make the trip across the pond in better shape). Second, having just finished The Burning Man, I was amused to see that London’s Glory will be released on Guy Fawke’s Day.

19. Jerry Boyajian says:

D’oh! It just occurred to me that the references to it being a “paper book” meant as opposed to an e-book, not that it was a paperback. I shall crawl back into my cave now.