Bryant & May Today – And For Christmas

Bryant and May

5.white corridor copyAlma rose and tidied away the tea things. ‘Why don’t you get your mind off all this morbidity? Come to church with me this evening.’

‘You never give up, do you? I’m not that desperate for something to do,’ Arthur Bryant replied, dusting crumbs from his stained waistcoat. ‘Besides, I remember what happened the last time I went. The vicar told me off for praying too loudly.’

‘You made God jump,’ said Alma. ‘And your singing nearly deafened us. It would have helped if you’d known the tune. Or the words.’

It’s my birthday today, and my book launch. So as ‘The Burning Man’ hits the stands, here’s something else that will be winging your way, albeit later in the year. The lads will be back in time for Christmas this year with a brand new paperback…

It will be a collection of ten of their oddest cases, out in time for Christmas. These are all new stories set in different eras, including – as was always traditional with such books from Golden Age authors – a proper Christmas story with a Santa, snow and robins. Oh, and death. Bryant & May: London’s Glory will be published in November in paperback, and will feature some of the cases that the detectives have mentioned in the past.

I’m not planning to cover the Little Italy Whelk Smugglers or the Shepherd’s Market Black Sausage Scandal, but there will be an account of a murder at a freak show, a crime on a yacht off the coast of Turkey, a mystery in the year of the Great Smog, in Westminster and on a London bus, along with a look inside Arthur Bryant’s bizarre library, a guide to the characters of the Peculiar Crimes Unit and even a cutaway drawing of their building.

30 comments on “Bryant & May Today – And For Christmas”

1. Ford says:

Happy Birthday! I’d pre-ordred “The burning man”. For some resson, iI thought that it was due out last Monday! There were a number fof relessed that sdad,,y. I’d forgotten that it was Thursday today; so, it was a pleasant surprise to to find that it jumping out at me, when I started my Kindle! I probably throw a sickee, and, get started on it!

2. F says:

Admin, any news of your back catalogue becoming available as e-books? Tthere are some that I’d like to re-read domme, snd there are a couple that I missed first time around!

3. Ness says:

Happy Birthday. May you still be plying your trade as long and happily as Arthur.

4. Rachel Green says:

Happy birthday, old bean.

5. Jo W says:

Happy Anniversary of the day you were born,Christopher. Enjoy your day! I’ll see you later at FB, I hope.😄👋👋

My teacher used to drum that into me, Jo – ‘It’s not your birthday’, it’s the anniversary of your birthday’!

7. Jacqueline H. says:

Birthday greetings. Discovering The Burning Man on my Kindle has certainly made my day and the news of a Christmas collection is sublime. I would love to pace myself, savour every word of The Burning Man, but that isn’t likely when reading your books as I just have to know … Like F, I too would love to read some of your back numbers unavailable on Kindle. Enjoy your day and the book launch and thank you for all the hours of pleasure you have given me and many, many others.

8. Patricia Penon says:

Happy birthday!

9. wayne says:

Many Happy returns. Looking forward to the new books…..

10. Simon says:

A very happy birthday. Thanks for writing another book in this fabulous series. Don’t work too hard today and have some birthday cake and a nice cup of tea.

11. Peter Arcane says:

Many happy returns…

I popped over to my local book vendor (Amazon) and London’s Glory is shown as a hardback shipping on 5th Nov. What madness is this…?

Erm, yes, the publisher only told me two weeks ago that the book was coming out. My response; ‘Right, I’ll just go and write it!’

13. Stefan M. says:

Happy birthday! May your ears grow until they reach your ankles (as they supposedly say in Hungarian).

14. Maggie B says:

Cheers Admin!
    We seem to be getting all the presents-lovely.

15. Peter says:

Happy Birthday!

16. Martin says:

Happy birthday to one of my favorite authors. And one of Green Apple’s top selling mystery authors. Looking forward to my copy of Burning Man. Ordered from London to avoid the US cover.

17. agatha hamilton says:

Happy Birthday, Admin! Do hope you enjoyed the launch, and sorry not to have been there.

Congratulations on your personal anniversary and the launch of the new book. I’m superstitious and wait for assurance of its existence before ordering a book although I’m tempted to order the Christmas one now if only for the supposed date of its release.
    Woke up too late this am to see the interment of Richard III. If you wanted a non-London setting that event might provide a good background, especially considering the number of Richardians around.

19. Julz says:

This new book London’s Glory will it also be released in the US because I am not finding it on Amazon as was mentioned in a previous comment…

20. m says:

Happy Birthday! Need to go order book asap.

Julz, as of this time the US has not picked up ‘London’s Glory’, but they may in the future.

22. Alan Morgan says:

Belated happy birthday!

Just waiting for The Burning Man to plop onto the mat.

23. Adam says:

Excellent news! I’m off for a week in the sun next week, so Burning Man has come out at just the right time. My only dilemma is whether to buy the kindle edition (planning on travelling light) or hardback (which will go nicely with the rest of the series on my bookcase). Does form trump function?

24. Larry says:

Happy belated birthday! Thanks for so many marvelous stories; I’ve been a fan since I picked up Rune in a used book store years ago. Can you persuade your US publisher to use the UK book covers? They give a much more appealing idea of the tone and content.

25. LINDA AYRES says:

Read The Burning Man’ on the coach on my way back from Leicester yesterday…as always just have too keep reading then Oh so sad when it is gone…great news about the Christmas book.. will start throwing out hints to the family.
    Happy Belated birthday Christopher, what joy came to all of us the day you were born

26. J. Folgard says:

Happy belated birthday! I’m really happy to see the short story collection coming to life, it’ll be a fine gift!

27. Vince Blackall says:

Happy Birthday – really appreciate all of your work.
    Cheers
    Vince

28. Alan Morgan says:

Pristine Burning Man in hand. New book smell.

29. michelle dempsey says:

Belated happy birthday, just finished The Invisible Code on Talking Books, very good and have put this new Christmas collection on my Christmas list.

30. Isaac says:

My dad has read the burning man,and said you have not let the fans down he could not put it down once started thanks again and happy belated birthday P S keep on writing,can’t wait till November