Dead Good Value!

Bryant and May

VICTORIA VANISHES

See that cover? There’s only Bryant and no May on it. Want to know why? Read on.

On the run-up to the arrival of ‘The Burning Man’ in hardback and ‘The Bleeding Heart’ in paperback, the wonderful folk at DeadGoodBooks are going to be discounting ‘The Victoria Vanishes’ and half a dozen other books for the frankly ridiculous knockdown price of £1.99. They’ll also be making it available as an e-book. I hope they know what they’re doing because it seems a bit cheap to me. It’s all about ‘value for money’, a concept none of us left here in London can even remember anymore. As I understand it, the idea is to get a few of you Bryant & May neophytes hooked so that you’ll later buy or steal more copies in the series, like junkies.

This could go either way. Either you newbies (yes you in the jumper, don’t look at your friend, I’m talking to you) will indeed crave more Bryant & May and become hopelessly addicted, or you will hate me with a vengeance you feel loathe to describe and go out of your way to avoid my novels at all costs.

I’m prepared to take that risk. £1.99. Absurd. An author’s got to eat. Have you seen the price of biscuits these days? So I reckon you should only get one detective for two nicker, not both. Apparently you’ll get the fully monty though, with two detectives intact. It’s a disgrace.

8 comments on “Dead Good Value!”

1. Ness says:

When I was in London last year I could legally acquire a packet of Jaffa Cakes or Jammie Dodgers on special for 99p. Are you books only worth two packets of biscuits? I’d argue much, much more; somewhere between 1.99 and infinity. I can’t even buy a packet of Tim Tams for the equivalent Aussie dollars.

As a librarian, I have made sure we have all of your books and have started many people on reading and then buying their own copies. I’ve also got the buzz going about Paperboy and have bought copies of Film Freak as presents for film loving friends. I think you owe me at least a packet of Hobnobs (milk chocolate of course).

P.S. Just finished Nyctophobia – you and Sarah Rayne should get together in a well lit room and scare each other silly.

2. Donna H says:

Only the hardback book will do. Looking forward to The Burning Man and many more Bryant & Mays.
    Did anyone else come away from Nyctophobia with an unease about light rather than the dark? The kind of stark light reveals everything but is still hiding more than the shadows. I think I’ll be holidaying at home this year.

3. Alan Morgan says:

Price of a pint surely! But then we’d have the B&M touts up here* loading up their spiv suitcases to make a quick buck in the smoke. You’ll find yourself aghast when, outside Foyles, bald men in tracksuits offer you up a re-released Ten Second Staircase for 50p less (and ten cheap lighters thrown in).

If it was George Cole in a big Italian coat, and with a narrow hat tipped over his pencil moustache, then fair play.

*For oversees Fowlerists, up in Cumbria** a pint costs 2/6. In London it costs £15.20.
    **Near to the Falkland Islands.

4. Ford says:

I suspect “George Cole” would be more interested trying to marry off the Sixth Form to rich Russian oligarchs! Much better earner; and, all legit!

5. Ness says:

That’s why I suggested a well lit room – anyone can scare you in the shadows.

6. Brian Evans says:

If I could write and was an author, I would be miffed at the low price-but would at least be grateful it was paid for and not borrowed from the library!
    My partner has co-written a book about some of the works of Virginia Woolf, and he is furious that to coincide with the release date the publishers (who shall remain nameless, mainly as I have forgotten the name) have released on the internet 3/4 of the book. Surely, a suicidal move from them? He has received no coherent reply from his emails and letters, and is still licking his wounds.

7. Diogenes says:

Books in general are ridiculously cheap as a way to spend your time. You get ten hours for about A$18 so that’s less than $2 per hour for pure enjoyment.

8. Brian Evans says:

Diogenes-what a great way of putting it!