‘Bryant & May and the Burning Man’ Gets An Early Launch

Bryant and May

81DtotTO-SL

Bryant & May 12; The Burning Man, or Bryant & May and the Burning Man, if you prefer – it makes no odds – has been an utter delight for me to write, and in many ways feels like the most rounded volume yet, even though the ending may prove a tad upsetting for some. My publisher, Transworld, is so pleased that it is fast-tracking the book from its original launch date of November 5th in order to get it into the shops much earlier than usual. It will now have an early spring launch, and will be with you in March 2015. The cover is once again by the superb David Frankland, and is one of the best yet.

I’m thrilled about this for many reasons. The book is longer than usual, which means more of it and less of a wait for regular readers, and it’s something of a benchmark book for me, bringing to an end the second big arc of the Bryant & May tales. It also launches on my birthday. Later this week I’ll be able to talk about the other book that’s being published next year.

As for the plot of ‘The Burning Man’, here’s the outline:

The Burning Man

In Which Mr May Finds A Firestarter

And Mr Bryant Loses His Bearings

London is under siege. A banking scandal is filling the city with violent protests, and as the anger in the streets detonates, a young man burns to death after being caught in the crossfire between rioters and the police.

But all is not as it seems; an opportunistic killer is using the chaos to exact revenge, but his intended victims are so mysteriously chosen that the Peculiar Crimes Unit is called in to find a way of stopping him.

Using their network of eccentric contacts, elderly detectives Arthur Bryant and John May hunt down a murderer who adopts incendiary methods of execution. But they find their investigation taking an apocalyptic turn as the case comes to involve the history of mob rule, corruption, rebellion, punishment and the legend of Guy Fawkes.

At the same time, several members of the PCU team reach dramatic turning points in their lives – but the most personal tragedy is yet to come, for as the race to bring down a cunning killer reaches its climax, Arthur Bryant faces his own devastating day of reckoning.

‘I always said we’d go out with a hell of a bang,’ warns Bryant…

16 comments on “‘Bryant & May and the Burning Man’ Gets An Early Launch”

1. Stephen Groves says:

Hi Chris,
    Shelf up ,space ready.

All Best
    STALKY

2. Wayne says:

I can’t wait! It sounds so exciting. When you say “bringing to an end the second arc” does that mean there may be a third set of crimes to solve for your elderly detectives? Or the remaining detective and the team….. Oh go on write some more I dare you!

3. J. Folgard says:

I’m ready too, it’s been too long since I read a crime novel anyway. Like Wayne, I’d love to see a third set -c’mon, three is such a magic number!
    Love that cover, too! Cheers-

4. Charles says:

“And Mr Bryant Loses His Bearings”

Oh ho! What a surprise! Or not. Isn’t Arthur Bryant always losing his bearings?

Anyway, can’t wait!

5. Excellent news, very excited about this!

6. Mary Clarke says:

I’m just getting excited for the Bleeding Heart coming out in audio early November! I hope it doesn’t take so long for the audio version of The Burning Man.

These are my favourite ever series of crime novels.

Mary

I can see why Nov. was planned for the launch but so glad it’s been moved forward. Really pleased.

8. agatha hamilton says:

I don’t like the sound of an ‘upsetting’ ending – if only ‘ a tad’. Do hope you haven’t killed off one of your two main heroes. Or even Crippen. I like them all as they are, and we do want the promise of more to come.
    Still, I suppose we shall just have to brace up and hope for the best. Like most of life, really.

9. jeanette says:

Nothing better than welcoming the next new year with something wonderful happening in each month. My 2015 panning out so far as, January – New Year at a beach party in Portugal. February – catching up with old friends in London.
    April – Birth of twin grandchildren. Oh missed March , how did I do that? MARCH – NEW BRYANT AND MAY BOOK. I am loving March 2015.

10. Peter Lee says:

Hasn’t the release always been down for March though? Amazon has had it listed as March for a few months now, and the last few B&M books have been released in March as well.

11. Chris Lancaster says:

That’s really good news; I’ve amended the ‘books to buy next year in order of publication list’ that sits over the desk in my study. Am intrigued by the fact there may be a sad ending. There again, there’s been so many instances of authors threatening to kill off a ‘major character’, only for the blow to fall on a spear-carrier rather than a chief (Sirius Black in the Harry Potter books springs to mind). q

12. Jo W says:

Saving up the pennies. 😊

13. Jackie says:

Arthurs day of reckoning? No you can’t kill off John or Alma, they are like family.

14. jan says:

I’ll send u a stamp

15. Lauri says:

For American fans Audible has released Bryant and May and The Bleeding Heart. Please download it so we can continue to get all of the books.

16. Terri says:

Thank you for writing your fabulous Bryant & May novels! I had surgery and was stuck in bed for months. Happily for me, a good friend gave me some of your books to read while I recovered. Do you know how nice it was to chuckle when your stuck in a miserable position?? I am your life long fan now!! Best regards, Terri