Ghost Stories In A Grand Setting

The Arts

da6ec34c054342acc139c7fe756b7332

Next Wednesday I’ll be reading something to give you the creeps – surprisingly not my bank statement after my recent Japan jaunt but a new ghost story for Halloween (let’s drop that apostrophe for once and for all, shall me?). The National Liberal Club is in Westminster, 5 mins from Trafalgar Square, and is one of London’s most venerable institutions. It is also the home of the Authors’ Club, and this event is (for once) open to the public. You can find the booking page here.

I’ll be with the lovely Suzi Feay, opening the night’s uncanny offerings with a ghost story of her own. Steven O’Brien will explore the Celtic Otherworld and author Lynn Shepherd investigates the haunting of Shelley.

After an interval to fortify your spirits with strong liquor, prepare to be chilled by ghost stories from the award-winning master of the macabre Chris Priestley, and erm, me. All in the daunting oak-panelled setting of a proper gentleman’s club, the kind where they still check your shoes and tut with disapproval as you enter, just to make you feel bad. There will be no tickets on sale at the Thames-side venue, so you need to follow the link in advance. Apart from the event itself, it’s a chance to have a nose around.

Expect me to knock a pipe out on the mantelpiece and conclude with; ‘And he never uttered another word ever again!’

8 comments on “Ghost Stories In A Grand Setting”

Get me to London, get me to London!

2. Vivienne says:

To quote from The Wrong Box, “Golly, What a club!”

3. Charles says:

“…Halloween (let’s drop that apostrophe for once and for all, shall me [sic]?)”

I don’t know, I rather like it when it’s spelt “Hallowe’en”. It emphasises the fact that it’s actually two words squished together: hallowed evening, which makes it more clear that the “holiday” has more to it than bloody mummies and skeletons. In any case, in the USA (of course) and Canada, it’s nearly always spelt “Halloween”.

4. J. Folgard says:

Sounds fun! Enjoy the evening admin-

5. Jo W says:

Yes,have a great time Admin. Sorry I can’t be there. As you know, I’m no gentleman.😊

6. Fiona says:

I’ll be there and I’ll try to rustle up some fellow readers from my book group. They usually like this sort of thing.

When I learned to read and write (back when we used oak gall ink and quills) we spelled it Hallowe’en and the teacher explained the apostrophe. It was our first exposure to the apostrophe – October of grade one and no kindergarten. II prefer it to be there even though natural evolution says it will disappear. Not in my time and place.

8. Robert Rimmer says:

Speaking of Halloween – have you seen Time Out’s selection of 35 Spooky Photos of London? Some a bit really, spooky, looks more like normal London – but a few work very well http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/35-spooky-photos-of-london?cid=TOL|DD|EM|_CTA||2014-10-28T11:49:14