Yet More Bad Boris

Observatory

Boris Johnson

This just in: ‘Boris Johnson’s office said that since he was elected, the number of Londoners living in areas exceeding legal limits had halved.’ It doesn’t say whether this is because he’s killed them or they’ve had to move to cleaner areas. The row is over new figures just out pointing to Oxford Street as the most polluted place on earth in the history of mankind, in terms of both hourly and annual mean. Yes, we have higher concentrations of nitrogen dioxide than anywhere else. If Boris had followed through on the emergency plans he proposed in 2010 instead of dropping them, then vulnerable Londoners would have been better protected during the recent high levels of pollution. And it can only get worse as the city is transformed into an even bigger building site by property developers taking advantage of newly relaxed rules.

Most of us only encounter the effects of London’s mayors from a distance. Londoners used to irrationally hate Ken Livingstone without direct reason. I can think of two local positives for which he was responsible; a natural park he fought to establish in my neighbourhood and the improvement of the riverside, which had no wheelchair access anywhere and was dangerous to walk along at night.

The thrill my mobility-challenged mother experienced, being able to move along the South Bank, in and out of all the shops and attractions, stayed with her for years. An I was happy to be able to walk around London feeling safer. Oh, and he got us using buses to alleviate crowding on the tube, which was a first for me.

So I look at Boris Johnson and try to see the same positives; the bikes, and the removal of guard rails from London streets, the return of platform buses – a mixed blessing perhaps, given their soaring temperatures in summer.

But there are the painful negatives; the useless cable car nobody wanted, the tube system that’s still a mess, 2,000 fewer police on the streets, resulting in the return of heroin addicts and prostitutes, the closure of GP surgeries in Soho and Westminster and the general chipping away of good NHS standards (like the recent disastrous outsourcing of home deliveries), the reservation of  art colleges and universities for wealthy fee-paying students, the swapping of London homes for property portfolios, resulting in such a wealth gap that the usually right-wing Evening Standard referred to London as ‘The Hunger Games City’.

Johnson has a year still to run, and still has time to switch from being London’s salesman to someone who does real good for his people. New York and Rome have traffic-free zones – London has a nightmarish level of pollution in a city where it costs £10 to move a car. What we don’t need right now is a Latin-spouting mayor who seems obsessed with selling London overseas. There are some potentially great mayors waiting in the wings if we can only get to vote for them.

Meanwhile, London becomes ever-more attractive to the billionaires who only want to invest in Kensington & Chelsea, and daily more alarming for those of us who use the NHS, public transport, local shops and streets. On balance, it’s time for a change.

8 comments on “Yet More Bad Boris”

1. Dan Terrell says:

What has been happening to London seems also to be happening to New York, D.C., Chicago and many other places. The wealthy are moving in and the middle class are priced out of the areas that were thought to be available for them. Was ever thus, look at what happened to Pompeii. However, in that case the fellas with the villas got fried, didn’t they?

2. pheeny says:

Don’t forget Livingstone’s fantastic “Fares fair” scheme which at a stroke made the tube (and by extension all of London) accessible to even those on the meanest income, and raised morale amongst both customers and employees.

Sadly scuppered by the well heeld residents of wealthy Kensington and Chelsea IIRC who begrudged subsidising the less fortunate

I wondered why I didn’t see police on the street the way I did five years ago.
    The private medical clinic in Victoria station charged me 80 pounds for a 15 minute appointment and he covered himself by saying that I’d better go to A&E at the hospital to confirm the diagnosis (“because they can do tests that I can’t”).
    Sat. morning at St. Thomas’ Hospital. People were moved efficiently through intake. It was quiet and calm. A nurse walked me through the halls to a location where I met a head nurse (he was very cute) and was used as a demonstration to my conductress as to the difference between Bell’s Palsy and a stroke. Again, calm, friendly, and helpful. The nurse located a doctor to confirm and prescribe, I was sent to the pharmacy and I was out of the hospital in under 1 1/2 hours with medication and detailed instructions. I was asked for addresses and all I could do was give them my home one, which they took. I have been home for over a month and have not received a bill so when I get the charges back from my insurance company I think St. Thomas’ will get a donation. It’s too bad their MRI machine is in a portable structure at the entrance, though.

4. Dan Terrell says:

Since you raise the unfortunate issue, are you well again? Sincerely hope so. It is not fair to have a good shock while on holiday. And I will never drink a Bell’s Big Two Hearted All again without think about you, as well as Hemingway: Up In Michigan.

Glad all’s well, Helen – and glad the NHS is still functioning well for visitors!

6. Jo W says:

Hi Helen. Sorry,I haven’t asked you recently,but I do hope that you are seeing and feeling an improvement in your Bell’s,especially as it had affected your eye,too. Keep well! 😉

7. Cid says:

It never ceases to amaze me that people give credit for the bikes to Johnson. The most he did for it was not cancel what Livingstone had already announced and budgeted for.

8. Liz Rose says:

When the friend I was with broke her wrist in London in 2010, we found the NHS as Helen reports; calm, competent and kind. An excellent experience which I hope not to repeat; the corollary being never ever rush when you are over 60. Liz