Spot The Difference

Bryant and May

IMG_2925

The artist got it right the second time around.

6 comments on “Spot The Difference”

1. snowy says:

Ceci n’est pas une pipe?

2. John says:

There are several: the number searchlights and their placement, the number of planes above the building, and the pipe switching from John to Arthur. I won’t mention that the building shrinks as well because clearly that’s due to the change in size of the book’s binding and the choice to make your last name so gigantic.

3. Dan Terrell says:

May is no longer smoking the pipe as Snowy points out.
    But… notice the searchlights and the position and number of planes over the background building. Suspicious, if you ask me. Wouldn’t the boys have had time to quickly pass that pipe off and were they pulling the illustrator’s leg? Or trying to save an awkward situation? There’s life in the guys yet!
    Is the paperback a recent reprint? Are the books being re-released? Is this a good omen?

4. Wayne says:

My cover is as shown on the left, with John smoking. I was told once a long time ago to keep hold of the book as it woud be worth something one day, it being incorrect. I have to say that I wouldn’t have got rid anyway as it is my Favorite B&M. The first one I read too.

I would go as far as to say that all the UK editions in Hard-Cover have the most amazing slip covers. The art work is FAB. I also like the feel of the Bleeding Heart, it has that silky feel about it, how do they do that?

I love Dan’s comment it did make me chuckle.

Wayne, I like that silky feel, too, and have only noticed it in the last couple of years. I wonder if it is some form of plastic manipulation.

6. Reuben says:

Annoyingly the first B&M novel is the only one that I don’t have in hardcover. I remember being drawn to it by the cover (it didn’t have a moody photo of a chair or someone’s back on it so it stood out) after seeing it on display in Waterstones when it was released. “That looks good” I thought to myself, “I’ll wait for the paperback to come out”. Sadly after reading the paperback I realized I couldn’t wait a year for the next one and there was the second one already out in hardback, so…….