Shopped No.2

Observatory

marcel4

Watching everyone board a very late plane the other night, I noticed that about one in five people had untied laces, but they were too laden with luggage and kids to be able to do anything about it. While we’re waiting for Nike to develop self-lacing trainers like the ones in ‘Back To The Future 2’ (they’re coming, apparently) these will do in the meantime.

They’re called Hickies, and were designed by two Argentinians who used a Kickstarter campaign to get the idea off the ground. Hickies come in little packets of 14 (12+2 spares) and I found my first set in a funky little store in Spain, but you can buy them online.

Take out the laces from your footwear and thread these through, clip them shut and you’ve turned your trainers into slip-ons. They feel snug and come in every colour combo under the sun. There’s also a totally pointless app available to show you what your shoes would look like if you used them – Jeez, people, use your imaginations.

Surprisingly they don’t seem to break. I’ve been wearing mine for a while now and love them. It’s a preview of what being really old will be like. I’m hoping for the return of Velcro next.

Now, pricing. On the Hickies site a pack (any colour combo) costs £9 ($15) but if you buy them on Amazon they’re more expensive.

7 comments on “Shopped No.2”

1. Jo W says:

Don’t worry Admin. Velcro is still out there and going strong. So good to be able to adjust your sandal straps in warm?weather,when your feet swell!! It comes to us all!!

2. snowy says:

My immediate thought was these souls might be American, US Customs has something of a foot-fetish at the moment requiring passengers to doff their Manolos before they are allowed on board, [since the Shoe-Bonber incident].

Fortunately they didn’t take similar draconian measures after some buffoon tried to dentonate his under-crackers; lines of people queuing up ‘sans cullotes’ so to speak, doesn’t bear thinking about.

A friend of mine has been rocking the elastic lace look for years, [had his knees fused as a child], generally favours the curly/spiral type, in as deliberately lurid a colour as he can possibly find. I think the current pair are shocking pink with flecks of electric blue and bile green. The previous ones glowed in the dark!

3. Dan Terrell says:

I rather like them, but not sure I want the full color palate. Afraid though “designing” own color scheme may prove costly and excessively shipping expensive. I was around when the first wave of neon colored kids clothing came out ages ago and my attire was so color mixed and visually punchy wild animals like to cross dark roads bunched up for protection around me. Well, maybe not quite that,,,

4. Vivienne says:

Someone once showed me how to tie laces so that they didn’t come undone – but it wasn’t a double knot. I can’t now remember – wonder if anyone knows?

5. snowy says:

Umm…… the simplest is to take the second bow round an extra turn.

[Rather than endure my fumbling attempts at a description, searching for the phrase ‘surgeon’s shoelace knot’ should reward one with lots of line diagrams and how-to videos.]

6. m says:

My husband has those in the rainbow color set and loves them. He has a thing against laces. They’re pretty sturdy as they’ve survived his abuse for over a year at this point.

7. Vivienne says:

Great thanks, Snowy. That does seem to work- not to say that I won’t also get some trendy Hickies.

Posted In