The Twelve Quotes Of Bryant & May: No.12

Bryant and May, London, Observatory

PCU1(Mr Arthur Bryant on the subject on carrying on)

‘You could smarten yourself up a bit. You have new bosses now. It’s important to stay on top of things.’

‘And how am I supposed to do that at my age?’ cried Bryant indignantly. ‘I’m not fashionable. I’m not technical. I’m not meant to be there. I’m not even meant to be here.’

Alma sat on the edge of the bed. Bryant pulled at the duvet, resenting the intrusion. ‘You mustn’t say that,’ she said. ‘You’re one of God’s children and He will not let you go.’

‘Why not? Most of my friends are either dead, deaf or living in the wrong part of Kent. The world is for the young. Have you seen television lately? Do you understand a word of it? Perhaps we’re not just meant to soldier on indefinitely, did you think of that? We can’t all be Cliff Richard.’

From ‘The Bleeding Heart’ – To be published in March 2014.

6 comments on “The Twelve Quotes Of Bryant & May: No.12”

1. Matt says:

I hear you Mr Bryant, your correct about everything you say. We all feel sorry for our selves sometimes. Get a grip man your amazing, can’t see many people your age getting up to go to work. Lets face it if you stop your likley drop down dead a few days into your retirement.

Now that’s what would be said to me if I were Bryant…..

I do agree with him though, I can’t understand TV much these days.

2. Mim says:

The world is not for the young, Arthur, they just want you to think it is!

3. Dan Terrell says:

Eleven tasty crumbs and all is well. And then at the twelfth crumb: Snap! The trap shuts and the Christmas mouse is pinned, to be held until March 2014, or as soon as the postal services can deliver.
    Dastardly unfair, I say, or I would if the bar pressing down on the back of my neck weren’t so tight. And all the while Admin is delightedly puzzling out The Bleeding Heart give-away-a-copy contest, which can only be won if you live within London. Ah, well…..

4. Jo W says:

Hey,Admin,which is the wrong part of Kent? Although I think I could guess. In case my broadband disappears again, Happy New Year to All!!!

5. Dan Terrell says:

The wrong part of Kent might the sections that are under water. Lots of pictures here on the East Coast of people piling boats, towing plastic containers full of possessions and being helped away to high and dry areas.

6. Shuku says:

I’m looking forward to the Bleeding Heart. I really am.

(I would rather be in the wrong part of Kent; I’m in the wrong part of the WORLD at the moment – it’ll take forever for this to get anywhere near me!)