Title

The Twelve Quotes Of Bryant & May: No.1

Christopher Fowler
PCU1 (On Offenbach) 'I think
I get the idea,' interrupted May. 'Presumably it all ends in tears.' 'No, it ends with
the cancan.
your
lips
and
a
lump
in
your drawers. In those days, the stage used to be lit with floats, oil wicks that
were floated
on water
to reduce the risk of fire. It was an effect designed to show up the dancers' thighs, so you can imagine the excitement it caused with a lot of saucy high- kicking.
The
ladies
of
the
Paris
chorus
rarely
bothered to wear knickers, and performed all kinds of athletic motions to reveal themselves to the wealthy
patrons in the front
rows.' From 'Full Dark House'
Posted in
Bryant & May

Comments

Wayne (not verified) Wed, 18/12/2013 - 10:01

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

I love this book its one of my top ten.That passege makes me want to dump what I am reading now and start to re-read it....

BTW Admin, I finally managed to get The Water Room and Seventy-seven clocks in hard back so have the full set in Hard back now. Seventy-seven clocks is in as new condition and signed with a clock print inside 29/77 an added bonus. You were right the hard back covers are lush, much better than the soft ones they replaced. Thanks for your help getting them.

Christopher Fowler Wed, 18/12/2013 - 11:13

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Nice one Wayne - you'll enjoy the other eleven quotes that I'm publishing daily then!

Dan Terrell (not verified) Wed, 18/12/2013 - 14:37

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

A really neat seasonal idea for a run-up to the new B&M.
According to a recent book on Jane Austen's England, the women of her day did not wear kickers. (Now, there's a thought for her current readers to ponder!)
Offenbach was born shortly after Jane died, so the question then is this: Had knickers become a staple of the women's wear department in the time between Jane and Offenbach? Or were knickers and the wearing of them in transition during this time? Or were the ladies of the Paris chorus simply maintaining a long-sheltered tradition? (A childhood rhyme suggests they were "light housing" a tradition.)
As Dr. Gideon Fell might say: "An improving question to start the day."
Still, on mature reflection, we should pity the ladies of yore as they must often have been caught by chilly updrafts .

Helen Martin (not verified) Wed, 18/12/2013 - 19:11

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

There were many ladies who felt that knickers were unsanitary and promoted infections. I don't know when the wearing of them became de rigeur. I do know that Queen Vic wore them because I have seen photos of some she wore.

agatha hamilton (not verified) Wed, 18/12/2013 - 20:24

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

A comment from Tom Stoppard's 'Arcadia', the part set in 1809:
Lady Croom: Yes, I have heard that drawers are being worn now. It is unnatural for women to be got up like jockeys. I cannot approve.

pheeny (not verified) Thu, 19/12/2013 - 09:02

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

So much for twerking ...