Title

Entry Into Berlin

Christopher Fowler
DSC01822I'm in Berlin today — I only ever seem to be in Berlin in winter, and yes, it's minus something and trying to snow, which will devolve to a point where I end up standing in Alexanderplatz in horizontal icy rain without adequate clothing, wondering whether I still have ears. What to do, shall I visit the museum that promised to show me the complete history of East German motorcycle production, or head for the Trabant factory? We stumble into what must be the only remaining original Bavarian sausage restaurant left in Berlin and eat goose washed down with flaming schnapps. The whole meal comes to less than a round of drinks in London. The lady who owns the restaurant is wearing a dirndl, and sends more drinks on a long wooden board. She's pissed. Everyone's pissed. And they're all smoking. Christmas songs are belted out at a demented level. Who knew we could remember all the words from Wham's Christmas album? I'm here for Catherine Deneuve's party — she's being given a Lifetime Achievement at the European Film Awards, and there's a big bash after. It's a black-tie affair. I've forgotten the only item of clothing actually specified on the invitation. Where is everyone? Berlin looks depopulated compared to London. Across vast empty streets I see the occasional figure in the distance, like a Lowry painting. The city is covered in tiny gold lights, minimal and tasteful. Must remember the Christmas tree decorations, which is really why I'm here (last year I went to get them in the Czech Republic). Tonight I expect there will be many types of sausage. And sauerkraut. Can't wait.
Posted in
London

Comments

Dan Terrell (not verified) Sat, 07/12/2013 - 13:30

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Okay, you're killing me here. Was in Berlin in June and plan to be there in August coming, but not ever in the winter. We love to attend a few Christmas markets, but it is so cold. As you see to have found.

Dan Terrell (not verified) Sat, 07/12/2013 - 13:34

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

The wind in your photo seems to have blown the "m" off of my "seem", but so what it's gusty and I didn't nail that letter down tightly enough.

Christopher Fowler Sat, 07/12/2013 - 20:27

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Okay Dan, FIVE Christmas markets in one day and I'm knackered! Some wonderfully creative shops an stalls around this year, full of clever ideas. No more sausage. Ever. Sitting in front of an open fire drinking hot cinnamon and ginger wine in the snow. It doesn't get Christmassier!

Dan Terrell (not verified) Sat, 07/12/2013 - 21:09

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Thank you for sharing, Admin. Really. Gurrrrrrr.....

Helen Martin (not verified) Sat, 07/12/2013 - 21:22

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Dan, you could always come up and share our pseudo Christmas market (although they do have real German things, too. I spent a fair amount of time with the big German dictionary last year translating the instructions on the icing tube for the Gingerbread hearts.)

Dan Terrell (not verified) Sat, 07/12/2013 - 22:01

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Helen, my Frau went back this spring to attend a wedding and the couple getting married had ordered a small heart for each person attending and used them as place cards.
Admin, my wife say her hat's off to you for making it through FIVE Christmas markets. She wonders if you had a hot spiced red wine at each? I suggested not, as you appear to be able to accurately hit the keys on your mobile.

Lee Ann (not verified) Sun, 08/12/2013 - 15:24

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Are you sure you are in Berlin? Because that is a picture of the Denver, Colorado capital building. ;)

Christopher Fowler Sun, 08/12/2013 - 20:35

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Ha ha ha! I had 4 mins of Wi-Fi left and uploaded the first shot I could grab! I've even been there, but didn't recognise it! I've now changed the shot...

Helen Martin (not verified) Sun, 08/12/2013 - 23:19

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Ah, now we get the tasteful little golden lights. I did wonder.