The ‘Roofworld’ Effect

When I wrote ‘Roofworld’ I think this is the feeling I was trying to capture. I know it has been around for a little while but it still makes me feel ill watching it. It’s quite amazing what the human body can do…if I could only get the effect into my writing I’d be a very happy man!

6 comments on “The ‘Roofworld’ Effect”

1. Matt says:

I have been interested in “free running” for some time. This is an interesting video showing a first hand view. Made me a bit quezzy I can tell you. Bet he/she will need a new pair of knees by the time their forty…..

2. Alan Morgan says:

Experiences are worth knees, Matt. Your knees will at some point go but when you’re leaning on the cane it’s probably better to look up and blame the days of fighting Chymes with razor-edged pennies than the wonky kerb outside the office after twenty years of sitting in an unsuitably fashionable chair.

3. Dan Terrell says:

4. snowy says:

Sorry to be the one to let light in upon magic, but it’s a clip from a video game. And while it evokes the feeling, [which I’m sure was the point], it’s not real.

[Parkour is a bit like wrestling, looks impressive but it has all been rehearsed beforehand and the camera shots carefully selected.

Try looking for some videos of free climbing ascents to see life lived, and where the price of a mistake is a bit higher than scuffing your Nikes.]

5. Wayne says:

Are video games graphics that good? Having never played one I wouldn’t know. But the clip sure made my legs wobble never the less and led me to that well known video share site to see more and golly amazed was I.

6. snowy says:

I’ll risk this because most people are focused on the post two above.

Video games use the same techniques as CGI in films, but because a video game has to make all the calculations in real-time, it models less detail.

I’ll shut up now before I blab a dirty little secret about video game demos.

Posted In