Today’s Clown News In Full

Media

sing

Trust this blog to provide all your clown-related news for the day.

Leaders of clowns gathered for a convention in Mexico City said yesterday that they were saddened that a killer disguised himself as a clown to kill a drug lord last week, and insisted no true member of their profession would have committed the crime.

The convicted drug trafficker Francisco Rafael Arellano Felix was shot to death on Friday in the Baja beach resort of Los Cabos by a gunman wearing a clown costume, including a wig and a red rubber nose.

Meanwhile, fans are trying to preserve the ‘Black Pete’ clowns in blackface who accompany St. Nicholas to the Netherlands during the holidays. This reflects the emotional attachment most Dutch have to a figure that helped launch the tradition of Santa Claus.

Back in the UK, a man dressed as a clown styled on Stephen King’s horror clown Pennywise has been spooking residents by posing late at night around a town and waving at passers-by. The figure has been spotted around Northampton – and one woman claimed he offered to paint her windowsills after knocking on her front door, despite having no equipment on him.

And over in London’s East End,  clowns attended an annual church service in memory of the legendary English clown Joseph Grimaldi at the Holy Trinity Church in Dalston, east London. I thought it was usually held in February?

These sinister/horror clown stories may have something to do with the fact that it’s Hallowe’en next week, and journalists can’t be bothered to report anything else.

In non-clown-related news, Bryant & May lost out for the second time this year at last night’s ITV3 Crime Thriller Awards. The winner was a Scottish bloke (actually his book was very good, I just can’t remember the name of it). Just as I heard I hadn’t won, someone knocked a bottle of red wine over me, which accounts for the shocked look you’ll see on your TV screens this Sunday night.

10 comments on “Today’s Clown News In Full”

1. Dan Terrell says:

I hate clowns. They are too self-preoccupied, too dumb, go on too long, and since they are in disguise too creepy for many. And now the clowns have failed to award Bryant and May an ITV3 Award. Are you sure the red wine was accidental?

2. Keith says:

Goodness, the ‘Black Pete’ clowns are dominating news in the Netherlands. It was indeed a disturbing sight for me, in the 1970’s when I first visited Holland seeing those ‘golliwogs’ in the shop windows. Now anno 2013 a cherished (to the Dutch at least) ‘childhood’ tradition is suddenly deemed racist.
    It is also a very commercial tradition so it will have an effect on businesses if it is ever banned. Amusingly enough it has little to do with ‘childhood’ as 90% of workfloor employees celebrate it too 🙂

3. pheeny says:

Commiserations admin 🙁

4. John says:

“They are too self-preoccupied, too dumb, go on too long, and since they are in disguise too creepy for many.” This also describes many politcians, Dan, with the disguise element being more metaphotrical. And finally gives me an explanation of why I am frightened more by politicians than clowns.

I have always loved clowns and clowning. And I am a bit resentful of clowns being depicted as criminals or horror figures. I can never be frightend of anyone wearing a clown costume or make-up — even if holding automatic weapons and laughing insanely.

My sympathies, Admin, but if the Scottish bloke is who I think it is (I don’t see the programme) at least you lost to quality. You’ll always be first in our hearts.

6. Dan Terrell says:

The winner was Malcolm MacKay for the ‘Necessary Death of Lewis Winter’. He’s a recent entry in the British market with just a pair of books, I think. I’m not sure I want to read one of those books. His unseemly win turns me off and I have to wonder: did he nudge the fellow who basted Admin with red? There’s a hell of a dry cleaning bill for you, unless CF was wearing his usual T-shirt and shorts with sandals.
    Sorry, Admin.

7. Fiona says:

Hate clowns apart from the Harlequin/Pierrot type thing that I loved when I was a little girl. I wonder if it’s due a revamp? Neil Gaiman wrote a story about Harlequin that was quite good.

Sorry to hear Admin didn’t win. I always think you should make a spectacle if you don’t – shout FIX at the top of your voice. I would love it just once in the Oscars if someone made a big scene instead of pulling the fake “Oh, they deserved it more but I’m slightly disappointed” look that they all attempt.

8. Vivienne says:

I used to get taken to the circus every Christmas and the idea that a clown might come and talk to me was terrifying – they used to wander into the audience and I was a standard-type little girl so knew I was a target. Maybe they sensed my terror (although my parents never did). Never found all the buckets of water stuff they did funny either – had to wait for Monty Python!

No award this year? Good reason to keep writing!

Ah, different Scottish bloke, then. Doubly sorry, Admin.

10. andrea says:

If I see a clown anywhere I run in the opposite direction… I think they are really creepy. It doesn’t help that when I was 16, I locked my keys in the car with the ignition on ( brilliant I know) in front of a car dealership and “clowns” hired for a sales promotion made my situation part of their “show” I thought I would die of embarrassment.

Posted In