The Scent Of Roses

Reading & Writing

Here’s a story I developed out of an idea in ‘Hell Train’. It’s in the latest issue of the very excellent ‘Black Static’ magazine, the sister mag to the equally terrific ‘Interzone’. The story worked out rather well, I thought, but don’t expect to see it in a future collection, as publishers don’t seem to want to buy collections anymore.

It’s a shame because short fiction is where I try out future novels. ‘Red Gloves’, my collection of 25 new stories, was a limited edition, and so far there have been no takers for a mass market version. Single-author collections have suffered greatly in the last few years, and I may end up putting it out in a Kindle edition – but as much as I like e-reading, I’d rather see it appear as a mass market paperback.

I have a sufficient number of new stories ready for another collection, but until I can find a way forward with the publication of collections, they’ll have to appear piecemeal in magazines. Not that this is at all a bad thing, just difficult for anyone attempting to lock down a definitive collection of short fiction. As a hunter/gatherer myself, I know how frustrating this can be…

BUr2I1JCMAACvq2

7 comments on “The Scent Of Roses”

1. Dan Terrell says:

Novellas may do better, particularly on Kindle.

2. Janet Wilson says:

HOORAY!!! Have just picked up my ordered copy of ‘The Casebook of B&M’ from Forbidden Planet! Am so excited, I could do a little wee, to quote Miranda.

3. Stephen Winer says:

Some of your readers love short stories too. Would an ebook collection be a possibility?

Okay, Janet. That gives me hope. I had my order confirmed but nothing so far to this side of the globe.

5. stephen groves says:

Hi Chris,
    Collections ,yeah tell me about it.

All Best
    STALKY

6. Janet Wilson says:

We all love short stories- I always have, more so as I get older, with my short attention span and limited time for reading- in England, Radio4xtra wld struggle without short stories to fit the 15 min slots- Chekov’s short stories are up on the heights of world literature. So there’s an audience, and the form is fine to say great things. By the way, Helen, y’ll love Casebook when you get it cos y’re already a fan- as to it not selling, all I can think is, it’s a bit of an awkward intro for anyone who hasn’t read a B&M first. Maybe cld’ve been plugged in the paperbacks..?

7. Janet Wilson says:

And, as per previous entries, u can also say trash things in a short story, or great things in a trash form. What’s fan fiction, if not a cack handed tribute to the short story form?