Things That Drive Me Crazy

Media

When I saw this, I wanted to call up Car Giant and tell them to fire their agency. Is it wrong to be so anal about grammar and spelling?

IMG_1834

10 comments on “Things That Drive Me Crazy”

1. Clare Stobbs says:

I once saw a handpainted sign on the window of a bed shop in Wallsend that said “6ft diva’s, the cheapest in the North East”
    *sings* “Where do I begin……”

The apostrophe, the apostrophe, poor mistreated punctuation that it is! The rule is so simple that I cannot believe how many people misuse it. I agree, fire the agency.

3. Henry Ricardo says:

You’re right. After a great meal in a new restaurant, I had to inform the owner that he misspelled ‘schlag’ on his menu. He had something like ‘slog’.

4. Dan Terrell says:

I agree, but I also have a tiny problem with the capital “L” on “like” especially in this Facebook age. Really? Must I like a kid in a sweet shop (or candy store as we say in the USA).
    Wouldn’t it be – to be anally exact: “…like a kid in a sweet shop.” The front of the sentence is missing, if implied.

5. snowy says:

In a world without heroes……. sorry wrong thread

In a world with a tiny budget for adverting, want people to talk about your product/brand?

Want lots of coverage in social media, then the trick is to court a little outrage, [any way you can]. Anything to get people mentioning your brand, it all counts on google.

It’s a SEO trick, to push them up nearer the top of the page. Like naughty children, if you react they will do it all the more.

[It’s not called the ‘outrage bus’ for nothing.]

6. keith page says:

It’s as annoying as ‘upspeak’ [?]

7. pheeny says:

OW!!!

8. Alison says:

It is never anal to be picky about grammar. That just hurts. I wrote recently to a very large electronics firm telling them that their huge advert advising us that if you use a certain appliance you will end up with ‘less lines’ constituted an error of enormous proportions. I can’t help myself.

9. Ralph Williams says:

The worst culprits are places that do “tattoo’s” – if they can’t get that right there is every chance that the intricate Chinese symbol for peace will actually say “I shop at Tesco’s”.

The difference between ‘less’ and ‘fewer’ seems basic to me: if you can count the subject matter the word is ‘fewer’ and if you can’t, then it is ‘less’. The grade 1 teacher next to my library put up a graph showing that ‘less students’ did something or other. I’m afraid my horror showed and became worse when she couldn’t see the problem. Just going to university does not necessarily make you knowledgeable. (And teaching elementary ruins your spelling. I appreciate spell check.)

Posted In