Bigger. Better. Bryantier: An Outline Of The Next Bryant & May Novel

Bryant and May

The next Bryant & May novel, ‘The Bleeding Heart’, will be longer than the last half-dozen books. I’ve just finished the final edit and have the new cover rough, and have found that the text has clocked in at greater length than usual, with a rather more complex plot (or double plot) than the last two in the series.

Here’s an outline:
B&M‘It’s a fresh start for London’s oddest investigation service, the Peculiar Crimes Unit, under new jurisdiction.

Their first case involves two teenagers who see a dead man rising from his grave in a London park. The next night, one of them is killed in a hit and run accident. Stranger still, in the minutes between when he is last seen alive and found dead on the pavement, someone has changed his clothes.

But Arthur Bryant is not allowed to investigate. Instead, he’s sent off to find out how someone could have stolen the ravens from the Tower of London. All seven birds have been snatched from one of the most secure fortresses in the city. And when the ravens leave, the nation falls…

Soon death is all around. Bryant & May confront a group of latter-day bodysnatchers, an eerie funeral parlour and the gruesome legend of Bleeding Heart Yard, which seems connected to the crime.

With more graves are desecrated and the symbol of the Bleeding Heart turning up in the PCU’s offices, Bryant realises the case is more complex than he had imagined, and that everyone around him is hiding something. And it seems the Grim Reaper is stalking him, playing on his own childhood fears.

Rich in strange characters and steeped in London’s true history, this is Bryant & May’s most peculiar case of all.’

35 comments on “Bigger. Better. Bryantier: An Outline Of The Next Bryant & May Novel”

1. pheeny says:

Aaargh!
    Can’t wait!

2. pheeny says:

Aaargh!
    Can’t wait!

3. pheeny says:

No patience is not my strong suit in waiting for the post to register either. How did you guess?

4. Dan Terrell says:

Now that really stirs up the old Can’t Wait factor. In the interim I’ll have find and put on my old 78 of When the Ravens Come Back to the Tower… or was it swallows to Capistrano? Well, never mind.

5. Peter says:

I am really, really looking forward to this!

6. Janet Wilson says:

Ooh noo- not a MORE complicated plot!! That’s like Morrissey announcing he’s going to make a more serious, thoughtful album. Have just finished The Invisible Code, and much as I’d love to go on a pub crawl with Mr B., he nearly lost me down a corridor of the British Museum in chapter 37. ‘The more she read/ The more her wonder grew/ That one man’s head/ Could carry all he knew.’ And I’ll just have to take your word about Romanian plague pit diggers. Have you got any Weird Tales to tell about Barcelona?

7. Dennis says:

You infernal tease!
    However, I am saved the itch of impatience because I have a little tradition that started by accident. I go on holiday to a place near Mull every October. One year I took ‘Full Dark House’ not long after it came out. The following year, ‘The Water Room’ was out in time to take it to the same place to read. And thus was a pointless, but very enjoyable tradition born; sitting in an old Victorian house, drinking tea beside the stove fire and reading Bryant and May while outside is very dark and cold. This year’s read is ‘The Invisible Code’. Hopefully I can look forward to reading ‘The Bleeding Heart’ next year!

8. Sarah Mooring says:

Want! Need!

9. Janet Wilson says:

P.S. Deeply satisfied to know the PCU continues. Can I have one of Crippen’s kittens?

10. Henry Ricardo says:

Why has Sarah’s post stirred my libido?

11. Jo W says:

Wishing my life away! When is it being published? When? When?

12. jan says:

AAaaaa v interesting Mr Fowler do u mention the Saffron Hill rookery……. the interesting history of St Dunstan the pagan magician turned christian, the special services at the Church not 2 far from Bleeding Heart Yard?
    There is a place where the rituals of the church interlink and overlap with the conjuring of other spells …… is it near here?

13. Janet Wilson says:

Sshh jan, don’t spoil anything- I’m looking forward to being befogged and befuddled in the depths of London on a winter’s evening…

14. Ken Murray says:

I have to say Mr Fowler, I’m impressed how you continue to up your game! Makes me come over all sloth like…

15. Laura says:

so excited, can’t wait for my Arthur fix

16. J. Folgard says:

As usual, I deliberately skipped most of the outline but don’t get me wrong -I’m looking forward to read about the two old bats again, especially if the book is a bit longer than usual! In advance, thanks for this.
    Ah drat, I read the summary anyway: I’m going to love this. Cheers!

17. Graham says:

Lets be having it….

18. Dan Terrell says:

Somehow I picture Mr. Fowler sitting out on his high patio in a beach chair (beverage cooler and bait box handy)having a few cold ones while casting his fishing line and baited hook over the railing to see what readers he can snag. Nibble anyone?

19. Steve says:

I don’t know why it brings up an old familiar line from an old familiar movie……..”In the night. In the dark.”

But yessssss……more dark, more dark! Or in New Englandese, “Daak”.

20. Janet Wilson says:

Dan, shldn’t a Fowler be crouching in a reed bed near a decoy, Acme duck call at the ready? Ho ho… Not really our dazzling urbanite’s style.

21. snowy says:

There is a joke about ‘Grolies’ in there somewhere?

22. m says:

Very excited! Do you have a pub date yet?

23. Dan Terrell says:

Thank heavens for Goggle. I now know the meaning (s) of Grolies. Deep English, indeed. And I thought it was possibly British English for a growler. Not so. Oh the joy to be had in skipping words across the Pond.

24. Diogenes says:

Sounds brilliant.

25. Wayne says:

Don’t know what to add, all the other replies seem to say everything I want to say. So just to add something to the list….

YIPEEEEEEE…. Bring it on!

I have it on Pre-order already.

26. Janet Wilson says:

So Snowy- who was ‘grolies’ aimed at? Afraid I miss the point of yr banter old chap…

27. Reuben says:

I haven’t read the above as I tend to like going into a B&M book without knowing anything about it. I mean it’s not like I’m suddenly not going to buy it after enjoying all the others is it. It’s like those annoying people I see reading the back cover blurb just before they read a book (which they fully intend to read anyway) and AFTER they have already bought it. People really don’t like an element of surprise.
    I once caught my mum reading the end of a book while still near the beginning of it, upon asking why she should be doing something so maddening replied “well if I get hit by a bus tomorrow at least I’ll die knowing how the book ends!” (And why do people fear death by bus so much?)
    All this waffle goes to show in true Daily Mail online reader style I can comment on a story without actually reading it!

28. Dan Terrell says:

Reuben – Didn’t Steve King have a story about buses or was it trucks? Might your mother have read it? Or seen the TV or movie? I don’t fear buses myself, but they do dominate the street and smell.

29. Reuben says:

Dan- To the best of my knowledge my mum has never read anything by King. (She may well be of the generation that was advised by their mother to always wear clean underwear when going out in case they are hit by a bus, thus instilling the idea that buses are out to kill you). This has however given me an idea for a B-Movie ‘Attack Of The Killer Double Decker Buses’ which I’ll take to Kickstarter. I’m sure I can count on everyone’s support here.

Probably shouldn’t joke about this, this blog will now probably be flooded by upset people with tales of how a relative was killed by a bus.

30. Steve says:

Oh my God, how could you joke about such a thing?? My great-uncle Snidely was squashed flat by one of those monsters!!!

Kidding!

I read the Grolies article which suggested people write in their own similar acronyms. I would be afraid to do that, since my profession is teaching, but O, the temptation!

32. Mim says:

Excellent! I am greatly looking forward to it.

33. Alan Morgan says:

Does sound good, and it’s nice to see stuff moving on in style. Look forward to it greatly.

34. jan says:

No Janet honestly I don’t know anymore than u do – this is weird like talking to meself…………..

35. J Griffin says:

I sincerely hope that as Mr Fowler ages, his sense of urgency accelerates the production of darker and darker B & M stories. Since we are roughly the same age, the race between his production and my consumption may well assume cosmic significance 🙂