Hammer Audio Horror – Shaken & Chilled

Media

hotel-manager-was-stuck-in-hotel-lift

One of the more pleasurable horror events of the last couple of years has been the heartfelt revival of Hammer, at a time when it’s almost impossible to get a British film distributed and seen against the might of such wonderful fare as ‘After Earth’ and its like, currently clogging up our cinemas.

When Hammer decided to tackle audio horror I was thrilled but doubtful that anyone would find out about it in the general entertainment shouting match that takes place, but lo and behold, the Hammer Chillers CD Digipack is out now. It contains all six eerie audio stories and bonus documentary, plus free downloady bits. Naturally, I would say that it’s a brilliant series of six stories in the classic Hammer horror style by top authors Stephen Gallagher, Mark Moris, Paul Magrs, Robin Ince & Stephen Volk, with only me dragging the side down.

Having said that, the British Fantasy Society did just say this about my story…

‘Such is the quality of Christopher Fowler’s writing that the story’s resolution is totally unexpected, despite the clues that have been peppered throughout the narrative. This shocking ending will leave you disturbed, the tale itself sticking in your mind for even longer.’

Did I mention that there are more details here? Hammer needs all the help it can get to keep the British horror movement alive, although this is certainly no charity case as it’s pretty good value for money. Then again, you might be waiting for the next M Knight Shammelwammen flop to come along and suck away your hard-earned bucks, in which case you’re on the wrong site.

9 comments on “Hammer Audio Horror – Shaken & Chilled”

1. Dan Terrell says:

That was a really, really good story. Gives you a real lift. From The Red Gloves.

2. snowy says:

A nice range of themes and each ep. is decent 30 mins long or very close to. [And a pleasant surprise to see Rob Ince expanding beyond, bothering scientists, and ‘tweaking the noses’ of peddlers of ‘woo’.]

It’s probably that my fiscal reference points are completely out of sync with everybody elses, but the pricing seems a bit high, even for a full cast drama. [Something that I know authors have no control over.] I’ll spare everybody the comparisons but £3 can get you a lot more entertainment than one half of an hour.

[Someone will doubtless remind me that it is just the same price as some milk froth and badly roasted coffee beans, delivered in a paper cup covered in asexual mermaids.

But I can get three M. Knight Sham a-lang a-ding dong films for that. Or two dozen Uwe Boll, but I’m alright for coasters just at the minute, thanks.]

3. snowy says:

Back to clarify that it is not just this fine production, that strikes me so. But the whole audio publication industry seems to have got its pricing awry.

4. m says:

I was thinking the same snowy but I’ll probably take the plunge because it’s horror and good horror at that! Need a break from all the comedy podcasts I’ve been buying in an attempt to avoid listening to Marketplace.

5. Terenzio says:

Considering going to see a film costs over 10 Pounds with an average running time of 90 – 100 minutes, 3.99 Pounds sounds comparable and not unreasonable. The production is 30 minutes, which is about a third the running time for a film that is 1 ½ hours. And people have to make a living – preferably a decent one. Just have one less latte and buy the audio production. Recently I have been enjoying listening to the Price of Fear with Vincent Price on BBC Radio 3. He had such a great voice for horror/thriller/suspense. I still can picture him in Theatre of Blood, so over the top. Yet no one else could have done the role justice.

I happen to like Starbucks coffee, yet if I had a choice between Starbucks and a local mom and pop, as long as they had good coffee, I would go to the M&P. I definitely prefer Starbucks over Caffe Nero or Costa, Starbucks has better coffee even though some say they burn their beans. I must admit I do wish for the days before the rise of chain stores. When you walked down the street and there were many many many small independently owned shops.

À bientôt….the one in the gorgeous purple dressing gown and lovely velvet slippers. Speaking of cafes, my favorite one has just closed due to a greedy landlord and the ridiculous high rents in my hood. Tonight I shall be drowning my sorrows in my boudoir with several kirs or perhaps something a little bit stronger.

6. snowy says:

All points of view are equally valid of course, and I’m most interested in hearing them because the pricing of audio/spoken word is something that has been a puzzle to me for years.

My puzzlement turns upon the ‘repeat value’ of a purchase, if you bought a music album, you could get a 100 plus plays out of it with ease.

Buy a spoken word/drama the repeat value drops quite low, though perhaps not as low a comedy album which becomes stale very quickly.

Thankfully I was spared the drudgery of Economics lessons, but tucked away is a S/D curve. And I feel that the demand would be greater at a lower price.

Closer to that of a serious newspaper perhaps?

(Two episodes of ‘Hammer Chillers’ cost as much as a new paperback of ‘Hell Train’ or a ‘Bryant and May’.

If you use a Knidle, or don’t mind buying a book that has been ‘pre-loved’ then with careful shopping you can get a ‘B&M’ for the price of one episode.)

I’ll not get into the economics of selling hot brown bean infusions, because it is a sleight of thought only second in audacity to selling bottles of water at £2 a pint.

7. Terenzio says:

This audio production belongs to a niche market; in which case, there is going to be lower demand because only a specific (and smaller) segment of the population will be interested in purchasing it. You might not able to offer it at a really low price and still cover the cost of production and a make a profit. In this situation it is better to go with a higher number and take the risk of losing a few sales, then to lowball the figure and depend on the possibility of selling more of the product that is projected.

People will buy for reasons other than the niche perception. People who don’t enjoy horror will buy for a favourite actor or writer who writes in another genre as well. I wonder how many people there are who read only general fiction. Perhaps buying is different than just listening, though.

9. m says:

The subscription was less than I thought – about $24 USD. The adaptation of your story was very good and I think it means that my other half will be more open to listening to horror now.