Today’s The Day…

Bryant and May

invisible code

…that ‘Bryant & May and the Invisible Code’ comes out in paperback in the UK.

Friends in the US will have to wait longer for their edition, as it’s still not posted on Amazon and I can’t find the publication date anywhere. I’m hoping that we can close up the lag for the next book, but I think the US will continue to run behind the UK release.

I worry that many fans will buy from the UK via Amazon and thereby drive down US sales when the book arrives, but it can’t be helped. At least now they’ll be able to put ‘Award Winner’ on the cover when it comes out!

9 comments on “Today’s The Day…”

1. Dan Terrell says:

Yes, I buy from Great Britian and then share the book with at least two other people. I’m bad, bad, bad … but, hey, life is short!

2. John says:

The Bantam Dell (Random House) website says release date is December 17, 2013 for the US hardcover edition.

3. Peter Arcane says:

Oooh that’s something refreshing to look forward to after I’ve struggled through Benedict Jacka’s Taken.

Sorry, Chris, there are so many reasons to Buy British: you get it earlier, you get the English cover, and you get the British vocabulary. The downside is the added cost of S&H but for many it’s worth it. I am re-reading The Guernsey Literary… and just noticed a note in the acknowledgements “to the marvelous Antonia Till, without whom British characters would be wearing pants, driving wagons, and eating candy.” So many unsuspected pits when writing about a foreign country.

5. Jo W says:

I’m so lucky to have been born and brought up here in London, Helen,but I can understand what you say about having books printed with British vocabulary. Nothing can put me off reading a book quicker than finding it has been either written or printed U.S.style. It just interrupts the flow of reading for me. Pedantic? Well yes,but I read to be entertained not to proof read.

Having a built in proof reading gene can be detrimental to reading for enjoyment, Jo. It’s usually typos and spelling I notice, but generational changes also crop up like ‘chesterfield’ for sofa or couch. No one uses it any more but it was the accepted word when I was a child. I don’t know how the British usage went but it starts with the use of the word lounge, a room we only expect to find in a hotel or other public type building.
    By the way, we’ve just been reading about the ermine cherry moth nests in London and wondered if that chased Chris out of town and Dan should be returning home to the States just in time to avoid the the massive Brood hatching.

7. Steve says:

I’ll be waiting for the Kindle edition, which hopefully won’t be much later than the hardcover edition…..

8. Dan Terrell says:

Are you saying, Helen, we were bugged?
    Driving up from from Newstadt on the Orla yesterday, we passed many military vehicles and many rescue vehicles, all headed toward the Elba River. We had to slow where the Elba goes through a series of twists and turns between Leipzig and Berlin. High water was coming.
    People were stacking sandbags along the edges of A9 in expectation of the river shedding water onto the highway. So, the result of three weeks of rain continues and it’s cloudy today.