Trip Out Out In London On May 16th

tripwire-21-cover-new-scb

What, in all honesty, does a fiver buy you?

It doesn’t quite cover the cost of a pint of lager and a packet of nuts.

But on May 16th you can turn this fiver into something cool.

Back in 1992, TRIPWIRE started out with a mission to become the UK’s leading comics/ genre magazine. Its emphasis on British comics and creators and quirky genre work has garnered it fans around the world. Its friends include Joss Whedon and Guillermo del Toro, and its contributors read like a who’s who of the fantastic.

This year it turns 21, and to commemorate their birthday a special edition, TRIPWIRE 21, is being published. It’s a celebration and an accumulation of all these years of the graphically stunning publication.

To mark the event, on Thursday 16th May at 6:30pm Foyles (the original flagship bookstore on Charing Cross Rd) is presenting a gathering that includes Michael Moorcock (Mother London), Peter Milligan (Hellblazer), Mike Carey (The Unwritten, X-Men), Roger Langridge (The Muppets) and my good self in discussion with the magazine’s editor.

There are still some tickets available for the evening, and it’s a unique chance to get work signed by everyone in one space, plus you get to hear us talk about changes in the UK genre landscape over the decades, and probably rabbit on about weird London stuff. Mr Moorcock is one of my great heroes – his astonishingly wide-ranging work influenced me heavily in the early days of my career, but I have never met him, so I’m really looking forward to the event too.

Mr Moorcock’s avatar, Jerry Cornelius, traversed the future world with a blithe hipsterism before the word was even coined, but his SF is also the stuff of legend – and he’s a Londonhead; his novel ‘Mother London’ proved that. I used to read his work sitting on the floor of Compendium Books in Camden Town, when I was a broke student (that wonderful store is now, of course, a T-shirt shop.)

It’s much harder to keep this kind of magazine alive in the UK these days, and at a fiver for the evening it’s knockout value. You’ll also be helping to support a magazine that really deserves to continue in a physical, collectable form, so bang it into your diary now! (That was the hard sell part).

Tickets can still be reserved online by hitting this link, here.

9 comments on “Trip Out Out In London On May 16th”

1. keith page says:

I’m sorry I can’t make this event.I would have been most interested in meeting Michael Moorcock.His Jerry Cornelius character appears in a couple of my stories [such a pity the film version of The Final Programme was so bad]

2. Jo W says:

I hope it’s a successful evening for all. Unfortunately I won’t be able to attend but I wouldn’t bring the new books of yours,Admin, that I bought at Watermark the other week, as some bloke had already scribbled over the fly leaf in blue ink! The same thing had happened in Foyles at St.Pancras. I wonder where else he has struck?

3. Demelza says:

I would but I’m going to be seeing Book of Mormon and I’m very excited! Not that you’re interested but I’ll boast about it anyway… 😉

Joss Whedon! I must read things more carefully. Somehow my mind registered the list of people at the event as including Mr. Whedon. No, no, he’s just a friend of Tripwire. Oh, well, since I can’t be there anyway I suppose it doesn’t matter. Hope it goes well.

5. J. Folgard says:

As someone who discovered your work partly through comics, it makes me really happy to see you devoting a post to the excellent magazine that is Tripwire -thanks, admin!
    On a side note, today I had a drink with one of my oldest, best friends I hadn’t seen for a long, long while. I gave him a copy of the Bryant & May Casebook and his first reaction was that ‘it’s gorgeous’. Proof that he’s a gentleman with impeccabe taste! Cheers-!

6. Alan Morgan says:

Gah! I’m in the smoke on a rare visit the very next evening. Terrible timing. Mike Moorcock is a literary god. Shaped a substantial chunk of my teenage psyche.

Keith – whilst the film was not the greatest take on the book (how the hell does the perfect evolution of man become a snarling ape?) I have a great fondness for it. Moorcock notes that the cast were a lot better than the director, improvising lines as they went alone and I think Jon Finch did a very good Jerry. Lines such as ‘Miss Brunner, I’m losing’ and ‘Well for a start I’m going to get smashed out of my mind. I have it on very good authority that the world is coming to an end. I thought I’d go home and watch it on television’ are hard to beat for an anti-hero.

There are worse takes on books made into films. Modesty Blaise anyone?

7. Dan Terrell says:

Modest Blaze, indeed.

8. Bob Low says:

Modesty Blaise-terrible film, great soundtrack. Listen to the music over head-phones in a darkened room, and you can conjure up a better film from your own imagination. Another one of the late Johnny Dankworth’s triumphs.

Johnny Dankworth- a triumph in himself and paired with his wife pretty near angelic.