Cloudy With A Chance Of Trains

London, The Arts

IMG_1486

Walking around the corner to get a loaf of bread from the patisserie in St Pancras Station, which brings Parisian bread in on the Eurostar, I was astonished to see yet another new sculpture on the upper floor – this time of people living among the clouds, up near the immense glass roof of the terminus. The two-tier station always amazes me for being so fresh and airy on both levels, and unlike any other station I can think of. It’s almost impossible to associate with the smoky dark station of years gone by.

The new sculpture, by Lucy and Jorge Orta, flies high above Martin Jennings’s lovely tribute to Sir John Betjeman, and mercifully draws the eye away from Paul Day’s grotesquely ugly ‘The Kiss’, a statue so universally hated by critics and commuters that only its disproportionate size prevents anyone from defacing it. More and more, the station has become a destination in its own right, as well as being a stepping stone to Europe.

article-2310966-195DA26F000005DC-433_634x405

article-2310966-195DA23A000005DC-56_634x366

6 comments on “Cloudy With A Chance Of Trains”

1. Dan Terrell says:

That’s quite attractive. And the station is light and airy and a place you might just want to visit with no train trip intended. Reminds me a bit of the Leipzig train station up top, too.

2. snowy says:

It does look fun, but it did call to mind a phrase oft used by an elderly relative, when faced with some new piece of frippery.

“It’s all very well, but who is going to have to dust it?”

3. Dan Terrell says:

You nailed me Snowy. That’s what I often say, but I attribute the comment to wisdom rather than age. I was hoping since I’m older than Admin and hardly anyone can get my years right off that I could skate. Betrayed by comments. Oh woe.

4. snowy says:

Fret not, the ‘aged aunt’ confided that she had got it from her grandmother, who had got it in turn from her grandmother. It probably goes back to the Neanderthals.

It still persists locally, the last time I heard it in the flesh, it was directed at toddler by its mother.

[A masterstroke of distraction, the kid was confused just long enough for the mother to guide it away from the piece of brightly coloured plastic tat it was demanding.]

I used that phrase myself earlier today and I learned it from my mother.

6. Jo W says:

Those sculptures look interesting, I’ll have to go and see them soon. As for the dusting, I say that too.(Shades of mother and grandmother ) as in this house it’s down to me!