Fleeing Easter

Film

IMG_1455IMG_1445As you rightly discerned, I Am Not Here Again.

Having finished the first draft of the new Bryant & May novel, I could actually stop thinking about books for a few days and take a break, so I vanished from freezing wet London to sunny Barcelona, and it appears we’re not the only ones fleeing the English Easter, with 1.7 million people fighting to get away from ‘The Beast From The East’, the freezing Siberian wind that is helping to hurl the UK’s spring backwards.

Yet for all the dash and panic to be somewhere else, cities are curiously localised in their congestion. Pass through Leicester Square in London or the Ramblas in Barcelona and you’d be forgiven for thinking the whole world is pushing past you. But tread two streets away from the tourist path in either city and you find yourself alone.

When the Greeks first developed Corfu, they only allowed the hotels to be built on a single two-mile strip, knowing that tourists would be unlikely to stray from their holiday rat-run – and although a certain number of backpackers travel the world, for the majority of holidaymakers this apparently still holds true. (For a true sense of Corfu before the rush, read Gerald Durrell’s charming ‘My Family and Other Animals’.)

We arrived in Barca to relax, only to blow up the power junction outside our flat and consign ourselves to no water or light over Easter weekend.

Luckily, being in an outdoor city has its advantages; although buildings are dark and cool you can go and sit in the park or at the beach with everyone else. We headed for the Museum of Ideas and Innovation, which was full of inventions old and new, from this scary nerve restorer to a drink dispenser that only gives you colas after you’ve burned off the equivalent calories.
IMG_1453IMG_1456

Outside the Museum, this chap had found a good way to earn a living; his scooter converts into a knife-grinder, and he offers the services to restaurants and private residences.

Unemployment has hit Spanish youth particularly hard, but it seems that the city is filled with private enterprise, and everyone is looking for a winning idea.

But while private entrepreneurs often work incredibly hard, the banks are still hopeless. It’s virtually impossible to use their facilities with ease when they shut for half the day and every imaginable public holiday. Having caused Europe’s economic crisis in the first place, they’re clearly in no rush to change their own practices. It’s hardly any surprise that the public is so disenchanted.

I’ll be back in Blighty on Tuesday, when I start on the final draft of ‘Bryant & May and the Bleeding Heart’, and then begin the first thriller in a newly commissioned series, which I’ll take you through in the coming days.

Meanwhile, ‘Film Freak’ arrives on April 10th, and I’ll be in London doing interviews about it. Four days of reading instead of writing are quite enough, thank you.

10 comments on “Fleeing Easter”

1. Jo W says:

Thank goodness! After losing sight of your ‘fleeing Easter’ post yesterday,I thought I was on some trip of my own! Hope you’ve sorted your power problems,but I suppose you have plenty of sunshine over there,anyway. Have a good time,Admin!

2. Dan Terrell says:

Yes, glad you have reported in. Your going AWOL so shortly after a bump up to a new decade was a concern.
    And then the SkyEye report that a UFO was seen hovering above your flat – well… plus that follow-on story of little blue men in olive Crimplene seen jet packing down onto your patio… what was one to think, but the worst. So, Film Freakish; and so Internetish.
    Your readers want to know your location; please carry a GPS marker.
    On the bright side I got away from the laptop and did a great amount of yard and flowerbed work.

3. Colin Bulent says:

Did you manage to flee the Easter processions? Here in rainy Seville we were lucky and the torrential rains kept the pointy-hatted statue wagglers safely ensconced in their churches instead of blocking the streets of the city centre.

4. Lee Ann says:

Chris, I will be in London @ the 10th, will you have any public appearances?

5. John Howard says:

Ah, glad to hear that Outer Mongolia hadn’t swallowed you up. Barca is, I can see, still providing you with items to tickle our fancy. I’m sure that you can manage 4 days without fading away. You will just come back with much more vim and vigour. See you soon admin.

6. glasgow1975 says:

April 10th? Too late for my birthday 🙁 Maybe I’ll be retro and ask for book tokens 🙂

7. MaddieMyDear says:

Am incredibly jealous that you get to explore all these hidden nooks and crannies in different cities. Best thing I ever did in Paris was head away from the main tourist areas and just wonder and sit. People watching is fun! (Also, meant to say, you don’t look 60, more a well preserved 40).

I assume meals were eaten out or cold – or do you have a gas cooker in Barca? Glad you’re having a break.

Oh, and we have had sun since last Thursday and today (Sunday)I sat out in a sleeveless top and worried a bit about sunburn. Don’t worry – we get back to rain on Tuesday.

10. C. Rancio says:

We have no processions here in Barcelona (well, not so many as in Seville): we celebrate Easter eating chocolate eggs instead…

Posted In