Get Your Freak On

Reading & Writing

Film Freak

I’ve just finished proofing my scurrilous memoir about my career in the British film industry. This is the rough of the cover (I’ve now seen the final version, but don’t have a copy of it).

Most books about British films are rather earnest about popular cinema, and rarely link the experience to the times. I wanted to counteract that, but also to explore something I’d glimpsed in ‘Paperboy’ – the way in which British film, particularly comedies, were linked to class.

Here’s what my lovely publishers have decided to say about the book, which comes out in April…

‘It’s the late 1970s and twenty-something Christopher is a film freak, obsessively watching lousy films in run-down fleapit cinemas. He longs to become a famous screenwriter and put his dreams on the big screen, and so heads for Wardour Street, Britain’s equivalent of Hollywood, with an armful of terrible scripts.

But he’s made a spectacular mistake. He arrives just as the nation’s filmmakers fall to their knees, brought low by the arrival of video and the destruction of the old movie palaces.  The only films being made are smutty low budget farces and TV spinoffs. Instead of being asked to write another ‘Bullitt’, Chris finds himself churning out short films for boilers and nylon sheets.  Somehow, against the odds, he finds success – although in a very different guise to the one he expected.

From the sticky Axminster of the local cinema to the red carpet at Cannes, Film Freak is a grimly hilarious and ultimately affecting trawl through the arse-end of the British film industry that turns into a search for friendship and happiness.’

If you liked ‘Paperboy’ or simply enjoy reading weird stuff about movies and the seventies in general, you may also get pleasure from this.

12 comments on “Get Your Freak On”

1. Ken Murray says:

Really looking forward to it as it’s about time there was a realistic memoir of those times. Because all that ‘weird stuff’ of 70s cinema wasn’t weird, it was the life sustaining magic that made such a lasting impression and kept us going back again and again.

2. Stephen Groves says:

Hi Chris,

Bookshelf space already been made available.

all best
    STALKY

3. Mike Cane says:

Did you get the invasion of Asian martial arts movies that dominated all of Times Square at one point in the 1970s? I wondered if that was just an American or even just Times Square phenomenon.

4. Wayne says:

I have it on pre-order and have done for some time, nice to finally see how it will look. If it is half as good as Paperboy then I shall really enjoy it. BTW I loved the Soho Devil story maybe you could write a version for the Kindle as much as I liked the graphic novel It wasn’t as submersive as a proper book.

5. John says:

US release at all? Or must I again order one of your works from this digital shopping mall we call the interent? Not that I mind, but the shipping charges are begining to hurt my wallet. (P.S. Reviewed Invisible Code on my blog. Curious readers please click here.)

Mike, we had Verina Glaessner (possibly spelled wrong) at Time Out championing Asian movies during that period so we enjoyed every SMASH BANG GRUNT thst you did!

7. John Howard says:

Ditto Wayne

8. J. Folgard says:

Just like Stalky said, my copy of ‘Paperboy’ is now waiting for this one to come along!

9. Very excited about ths, looking forward to it because, you know, the 70s

10. Pheeny says:

I have just finished Paperboy and am looking forward to this immensely!

11. Andrea yang says:

Splendid cover!

12. glasgow1975 says:

Sorry if it’s about the 70s the cover should simply be brown maybe with a bit of yellow 😛
    Obviously 1975 was the pinnacle of everything 😉